8

"Πανταζή που στο διάολο είναι η ομάδα σου;!"

The loud sound of gunfire fills her ears as Layla sprays bullets across the street, her team rushing across as they engaged with an enemy team.

"Κύριε, έχουμε εμπλοκή με εχθρική ομάδα! Έγινε ενέδρα!"

Watching as a militia man decked out in armor pulls out a little girl, Layla stops firing and waves for a cease-fire. "Hold fire," shouts Layla, her Greek accent thickly layering the English.

"What the hell are they thinking," says a man on her left. "Don't know, but it's not good."

The man sets a gun to the girl's head, shouting for her team to hear. "We talk to leader of your group," he starts, shooting the stone in front of the girl's feet. She screams, loud sobs ringing through the air as she clutched a dirty teddy bear in her shaking hands.

Another scream follows, this time from a woman who runs out trying to retrieve her daughter.

A single shot rings out, the woman falling to the ground with the girl screaming.

"We talk now or she and others will be killed!"

Layla looks at the man next to her, who shakes his head. "Go around the block. Take out the men with hostages. Quietly. I'll distract."

Slowly walking out from her cover, Layla holds her hands up. "I'm here, don't shoot."

Her blood pumps as her heartbeat increases, the man holding the pistol up at her as she approached. "Gun!" Setting her M4 on the ground slowly, Layla keeps walking with her arms in the air. "Stop," he shouts, Layla immediately halting. "Let her go, then we talk."

"No."

Her fingers begin to twitch, Layla looking at the girl. "It will be okay." The man shoots at the ground next to Layla's feet, and the woman jumps. "Shut up!"

The hot summer air blows through the street, the smell of gunpowder overwhelming Layla's senses as she looks at all the bullet holes in the buildings and ground. "We can make agreement. Just, let her go."
The man throws the girl to the ground, pointing the gun at Layla. "Call boss," he orders, Layla reaching for the radio on her hip. "Κύριε, έχουμε κατάσταση ομηρίας. Είμαι εδώ με έναν από τους άντρες που τα κρατάει."

There was a moment of silence, the radio crackling.

"Hello, this is General Augustus. We understand you have demands?"

The man looks at Layla in surprise, eyebrows raised and mouth open. He recovers, holding his hand out and ripping the radio from Layla's hand.

He turns around, and Layla immediately goes to crouch down only for a bullet to hit her leg. She crumples to the ground with a gasp, a cry of pain escaping her as she grips the red cloth in her hands. The girl screams, scurrying away from Layla. She holds a hand out, shaking her head.

"No, it's okay. No worry."

"Pantazis!"