7

First

Listening to the crunch of boots on glass, my muscles coil as my head swiveled. There was a slight wind, and the stinging smell of smoke still filled my lungs even after leaving the sight over an hour ago.

The corpses of Masks were still fresh in my mind, screams matching those of long-gone teammates. "Hey." Looking up from the cracked cement, I gaze up at Lion through the visor. "Are you okay?" Giving a curt nod, I step over an overturned chair. Papers fly everywhere as a low howling wind blew through. "So, what did you do before GIGN and Rainbow?"

There was no answer as I gaze ahead, listening for any indications that there would be trouble. An awkward silence follows, Glaz now walking to my left. "Maybe Special forces. You were combat medic too, correct?"

We keep walking for a few more blocks, only to pause as the sound of engines grew louder.

"Σκατά! Everyone hide," I hiss, rushing towards a nearby alleyway. Pressing my back against the wall, my grip on the barrel tightens. My jaw clenches, beads of sweat running down my neck.

"I hope team two is almost done with defusing that damn bomb. We're in the middle of a no man's land."

"No. This is better than no man's land."

I could feel Castle staring at me, but shrug. "No mortars, trackers, open fields. This is just cat and mouse game with gun fights and snipers in between."

Sliding down the wall after the Masks left, I let out a long sigh. "We should radio Ash. See what new orders are."

Castle and Lion immediately agree, Glaz radioing in. "I'll take point," Lion says as he looks at a wrist-mounted monitor.

Zofia holds a hand out to me, which I gladly take. "Let's take break, yes?" We move into an abandoned hardware store, Castle boarding up the windows immediately with the help of Caveira. I make a quick search of the building, finding a back door. So, I shove shelving units to cover the front door before helping Castle and Caveira. "Hide in back just in case. Window upstairs will be guard. Take hour shifts while others rest."

Everyone nods, and I head for the staircase. "I'll take the next shift," Caveira says. I just walk up to the second floor, looking out the set of double windows.

Sitting on the window sill, I keep an eye out as I fiddle with a knife. The sun was setting, warm rays bathing the abandoned city in oranges, pinks, yellows, purples, and reds. The clouds slowly cross the vast sky, birds flying overhead, their chirps heard even from where we were. Lamely kicking at the floor, I finally realize how hungry and thirsty I was.

Of course, I didn't pack food or water.

Go figure.

As if somehow reading my mind, Lion walks up with a water bottle minutes later. He holds it out to me, which I take with a nod.

"News?"

Shaking his head, Lion sits down with his back resting against the wall. I slip off my helmet, a long shadow covering my face. Taking a few sips of water, I toss it back to Lion. "Keep it. I have plenty more." He tosses it back which I catch, throwing it back.

We hot potato the water bottle for a few minutes, Lion chuckling as he catches the now worn-out plastic. A few drops landed on the floor, seeing as the cap was about to fall off. I look back to the window, taking in the breathtaking view.

I missed Paris. Although this isn't ideal trip I wanted to take.

The water bottle lands on my lap, and Lion stands up. His eyes crinkle at the corners, eyebrows slightly raised. A sign he was smiling. Even with the mask he wore.

Lion leaves the room and a long silence follows after. I let out a sigh, prying at the lid of the water bottle unconsciously.

"Pantazis!"

Jolting forward, I whip around to look at the room.

Empty.

Letting out a frustrated growl, my back collides with the side of the window. Shoving my helmet back on, I fold my arms across my plate carrier as my gun rested against the wall next to me. White noise filled my ears, immediately making me stand and pace. I grip my helmet with one hand, curses spewing from me as my boots clomp against the floor.

After a few minutes of pacing, Caveira walks up. I look at her, the woman nodding. I grab my gun and walk down the steps where the others were camping out behind the service counter. All seemed quiet, so I finally sat down with the others.

Resting my head against the wall behind me, there was a moment of temporary peace. I wasn't sleeping - seeing as we were constantly being hunted - but did try to relax.

The steady clink of the barrel from Glaz's rifle hitting the counter, to Castle's steady soft breaths as he slept, to Lion shifting around to find a comfortable spot to sleep himself, and Zofia cleaning dirt from her sidearm was somewhat comforting.

Outside was dark, save for the light of the moon just above all this chaos. A stray beam from the left makes me stand up, almost stepping on Lion's hand. A large truck slowly pulls up, and Caveira runs downstairs. "Everyone up," she hisses, kicking Castle's boot. He jolts to a sitting position, gripping his shotgun resting against the counter. I leave the shelter of the counter, heading for the back with Glaz following.

"Move now! They have-"

Being thrown back into the wall as unbearable heat washed over my body, I collide with a shelving unit. A loud ringing sound filled my ears, a loud groan escaping as I slowly pushed myself up. I look around, entire body numb as my gaze clouds over.

Dust and soot cover my visor, but I slowly push myself up to a standing position. I wipe off the visor and look over, seeing Glaz covered in boxes. He was still, so I rush to his side. I look to where the others were, seeing debris covering their bodies as they lay unmoving. My heart rate picks up, blood pumping, a pounding filling my ears. I grab Glaz by the shoulders, dragging his body with great difficulty.

Throwing off my helmet, - seeing as the visor was cracked and melted, the helmet itself chipped with a large crack running down the middle - I attach it to my belt before hoisting Glaz's arms around my shoulders.

Hiding him safely behind a dumpster, I pile newspaper and trash around to cover him before running back inside. I hoist Caveira up, coughing loudly as smoke filled my lungs. We just barely get out before a loud explosion goes off, both of us crashing into a brick building.

Sparks fill my vision as my head hits the hard surface, groaning out in pain. I pull Caveira to the dumpster as well, hiding her next to Glaz before making another trip. I pull the door open, hiding behind a wall as a large wave of fire busted through the door. I enter as soon as it was gone, looking at the counter to see the other three missing.

They made it out.

I stagger back outside, coughing as the fire intensified. Slowly limping back, I crumble to the ground next to the dumpster. Letting out a groan I slowly turn my head to see Glaz and Caveira were still knocked out.

Resting my aching head on the ground, I welcome the cruel world of sleep for once, defenses down and demons ready to attack at any moment.