𝐚𝐥𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐧

After going for breakfast in that coffee shop, they went to the movies and even shopping. It had been a while since they had just hung out like that and he immediately felt better now that he had something to do other than think about Alex.

Ignoring the fact that Gabriel saw him with Iris, it was a good day. He spent all day with his best friend who must have known that he might need some distraction after meeting Alex at the party.

While they hadn't mentioned Alex, they spoke about someone's love life. Hers. As much as she wanted to deny it, the friends-with-benefits-relationship wasn't working for her. No matter how hard she tried to hide it, there was a longing in her eyes every time she looked at Lincoln or even mentioned him.

He had even tried to talk about it with her at the coffee shop after getting over the shock of seeing Alex. It didn't change her mind like he had wished but maybe it made her think more about whether or not this relationship was good for her.

"Pourquoi fais-tu ça? Tu l'aimes toujours clairement et maintenant tu as juste mal." (Why are you doing this? You clearly still love him and now you're just hurting)

He was tired of seeing her hurt by a man who couldn't appreciate a diamond like Élise Codieux. Only an idiot offered a friends-with-benefits kind of relationship with a woman like that. Honestly, he didn't care what he did with his life but if it made his best friend cry, he couldn't just stand by and let it happen.

"Vous ne savez pas de quoi vous parlez. Nous sommes parvenus à un accord qui rend les deux heureux et il n'y a pas de promesses ou d'engagements qui peuvent blesser l'un ou l'autre." (You don't know what you're talking about. We have come to an agreement that makes both happy and there's no promises or commitments that can hurt either one)

Shaking his head, Gabriel frowned and wondered whether or not it was a smart thing to argue about what was best for her. Obviously she wouldn't like that but maybe she was too blinded by love to see how that relationship affected her. After knowing her for twenty years, he didn't think that she would be with someone who settled for less.

Well, he had already started this so why not finish it? "Ne veux-tu pas être avec quelqu'un qui veut les mêmes choses que toi et qui ne te voit pas seulement comme..." (Don't you want to be with someone who wants the same things as you and doesn't only see you as...)

Narrowing her eyes, Élise sounded almost offended when she asked, "Comme quoi? Finis cette phrase, Gabe. Il ne me voit que comme quoi?" (As what? Finish that sentence, Gabe. He only sees me as what?)

Fuckbuddy. That's what he was thinking, what he had almost said out loud. It was too dirty, too sexual and offending word to describe the best woman he knew. Too bad he had a bad feeling that it was exactly what Lincoln thought about her because he couldn't give her anything more.

All of that happened two days ago and the birthday party was two days ago on Saturday. Despite drinking way too many cups of coffee, Gabriel hadn't had much energy at work which many customers and employees had also noticed.

Some regulars had even asked worriedly if he was okay and if he didn't get enough rest. Not wanting to make anyone worry, he had only answered that he hadn't slept enough which was at least half of the truth. It's not like he could explain how stressed and heartbroken he was because of one American man they didn't know.

There was something else he had talked with Élise too. While they made sure not to mention Alex, she had finally managed to convince him to get back to dating. That was what she had been trying to do since they broke up thirteen months ago and now that Gabriel was sure that he couldn't get back together with him, he agreed for her to set him up with other men.