𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞

After waking up Gabriel had to stay in the hospital for two more days before he was free to go home. At first, his parents almost forced themselves to stay a night just in case and during that one day, they proved that they couldn't leave him alone.

Yes, he understood why they were so worried but he couldn't get a minute to himself. They cooked for him, made his bed, did the dishes, chose his clothes and his father almost helped him in the shower with the shower chair. That was where he crossed the line, though.

No matter how many times he had told them that he wanted to be left alone, they kept talking about how they were going to get through this like the big, happy family that they were. At least, most of the time. Now he just wanted them to leave!

It was even more annoying when they kept asking if he had booked a time for the physical therapist or if he had talked with his doctor again and if he needed someone with him every second every day. Because apparently, that was what he was now, completely helpless and dependent on others like a baby.

No, he hadn't booked an appointment with a physical therapist, normal therapist, doctor or even a fucking dentist. He was just fine, his legs just weren't working. Everyone needed to stop pitying him!

They should be happy that he was at least taking his medicine. Yes, he got medicine that he had to take every single day. Some were simple painkillers, some prevented blood clots from forming and others were anti-inflammatory medicine. At this point, they were like candy for him.

Luckily Élise understood him more and didn't try to force him to give her company. Since leaving the hospital, she had called only once but he had a feeling that she still blamed herself. When she explained to him that it was her who had called, he was only worried about how she was feeling. Not once did he blame her.

Even if she wanted to talk, he was having a hard time with it. He just wasn't ready to go into details and talk about what had happened and how was he doing because honestly? He was struggling, especially mentally.

What surprised him more was the fact that Alex was still here. Despite him assuming that he would have been back in Michigan the next day, he was still here. His ex-boyfriend. His ex-boyfriend who had a girlfriend. His ex-boyfriend who had a girlfriend and who lived in the United States. Yes, that ex-boyfriend.

On his second day at home, Alex came to visit his apartment where his father had installed ramps and handrails. He was a bit hesitant about letting him come because he wasn't ready for another conversation about what he should and shouldn't do.

But he didn't do any of that. Unlike everyone else, Alex never mentioned his treatment or anything else about his accident or legs so he just him stay.

Maybe it was a mistake and he would regret it later - he should regret it already because of Iris - but for now, it was nice to have someone who treated him like a normal person. As if he wasn't only a fragile man with broken legs which everyone seemed to think of him now.

Despite everything that had happened between the two of them and how Gabriel had treated him at the end of their relationship, Alex stayed.

But now it wasn't only affecting Gabriel but also Iris, based on the conversation she was having with Alex. And she sure didn't sound happy because he had tried to calm her down multiple times during this short conversation. Maybe she was tired of waiting for him to return home?

"Why are you so angry? It's not like I'm moving here!" Oh, what a dumbass he was. Gabriel wouldn't be happy either if his boyfriend spent almost two weeks in another country to be with his ex.

Now the guilt hit differently and he immediately empathized with Iris who was probably a wonderful woman if Alex loved her. And yet here he was, in Paris with Gabriel only because he felt sorry for him. Because everyone knew that if the accident hadn't happened Alex would be long gone.