Chapter Five: A Chance To Live

Later that day when the cops left the kind officer that offered me a place to stay at his house drove me there. It was about a few minutes away not much. "So.... What have you been up to lately", he asked. "There's nothing for me to do but just walk and explore the city." It seemed like he forgot the reason he was letting me stay. The rest of the way was silent and nothing much. He seemed to lost interest in my life, due to the fact that there was nothing much to say about the way it was currently going. When he parked his car he parked in front of a beautiful white house with a very dark brown roof and the house had two bushes one on each side of the front door. There was another car next to it. A pretty red Chevy. "We're here", he said.

My mind was still focused on the beautiful house in front of me. After staring for a while it seemed like the officer had been waiting for me to get inside. Embarrassed I walked towards the door and he unlocked it and opened it for me. "Officer I never got your name," I said trying to make conversation. "Oh, sorry I guess I never really introduced myself. I'm Officer Hank but you can just call me Hank," said Hank. As I walked in further to the house two little kids came running towards my way. "Daddy!!!! Daddy!!!" They called to Hank as he picked them both up, one in each hand. "Oh um..."- "it's Teresa", I said. "Teresa this is Riley and Jordon." "Who's that?" Asked the little girl, Riley. "Oh this is Teresa, she will be staying here for a little while so that she could have a place to state," Hank answered back to his daughter in a little baby voice. It made sense, they both were only just about four years old. So young and innocent, but so cute as well.

"Who's this", said a tall thin woman with long blonde hair. "Hi honey, this is Teresa, she will be staying here for a little bit", Hank responded. Guessing by what Hank said the woman was most likely his wife. She shyly gave me her hand out for me to shake. When I shook her hand it felt as cold as ice but soft at the same time. "Well welcome to our home, and I hope you enjoy your stay", she quietly whispered but loud enough for all of us to hear. "She tends to be shy to strangers, but if you stay long enough she'll open up," Hank said."It's okay don't worry", I said reassuring Hank. "So shall I show you your room, or do you want to get a tour of the house before?" asked Hank. "No, I guess I just want to see the room that I'll be staying in." After saying that Hank showed me a gorgeous room that looked like a room you would find a very nice looking inn. The wall paper was a gorgeous dark blue color and the floor was a nice shade of gray. When he left I sat on the bed thinking. "Imagine if this was my house."

I guess I didn't keep track of time because it seemed like two minutes later it was seven in the morning, I must have fallen asleep. For a second I forgot where I was and started to panic but I then remembered I was staying at Officer Hank's house. When my senses kicked in I smelled bacon and eggs cooking and I was about to leave but when I looked in the mirror I looked like the character from The Ring. After getting ready quickly I managed to find the kitchen. It would have been easier if I got the tour of the house. "Good morning," I said to the family eating peacefully. "Hello Teresa, I hope you slept well", Hank greeted me. Hank's wife just gave a small hello barely loud enough for me to hear. The smell of cooked bacon and eggs filled the air, and my life seemed to be getting better by the minute. "Thanks Hank for letting me stay. It means a lot to me." "My pleasure," he said before taking a bite of his food.

Riley and her brother Jordon didn't seem to notice I was there, they were playing with each other until they realized I was here. They sent me big adorable smiles. Smiles I wish that can stay with me forever.