Chapter One

Biffle watched Sigils. His best (and maybe only) friend was pacing the room, muttering randomly and scribbling words on any sheet of paper that had space.

The dark room was lit by a single flaming lamp. The golden glow highlighted thin sheets of paper that were pulled high on each other. A few mechanical bits were thrown around the small, wooden room underground. Their dull surfaces hardly caught the light.

Sigils was in his enderman form. That usually happened when he got stressed or didn't care. His dark, green fur was fluffed up, his shoulders bristled as he walked, his long tail lashed as he moved through the room. The ender pearl in his chest glowed with a fierce, radiant light.

"Sigils, maybe you should take a break?" Biffle softly suggested. Sigils was radiating so much stress that it made Biffle's own head hurt. Times like this was when he hated being an empath.

"I can't take a break," Sigils hissed, "Not with a madman like Ian on the loose."

"He doesn't have the stones anymore," Biffle softly reminded him.

"And I have to make sure he doesn't get them back," Sigils shot back, "I could make a vault and put all of the stones in it. But no, Henwy would never give up his precious stone. I could make a pocket dimension just for us. When we don't need the stones, they will be in the dimension. That way we could all share the power. Henwy wouldn't like that either. Maybe you and I can make a vault in my space base and keep the stones there."

Sigils flicked his tail and drew his black, feathered wings close. His teal eyes shimmered in the haunting dark.

"Sigils, stop trying to control everything. If you keep this up, you'll be just like Ia-," Biffle started. Sigils darted across the room and closed his black claws around Biffle's neck, pinning him against the wall.

"I am nothing like him," Sigils hissed with an unsettlingly calm voice.

"This interaction is convincing me otherwise," Biffle choked out, the pinpricks of pain in his neck released deep, red droplets of blood that ran onto Sigils' claws and raced down his forearm to his elbow and dropped into the hardwood floor from there.

Sigils' folded ears relaxed and his grip released.

The enderman whirled away from Biffle, his dark back turned to Biffle.

"Get out, I don't want see you for the rest of the day."

Sigils' wave of anger washed over Biffle, the emotion reflecting on him.

He left. He didn't know what to do or where to go, but he felt the mental bond between the two weaken, break, even.

Fall was creeping calmly into the camp. The usually green trees burned with red, orange, and yellow. The leaves rustled calmly in the crisp evening air. Biffle wrapped his scarf around him tighter. The dying brown grass crunched under his dark, leather boots.

He was on his porch when a new emotion drifted to him. Sadness.

It wasn't from Sigils, or Henwy, or Jerome, or any of the admins like he had expected.

Biffle followed the pull to Ian's base.

He was hesitant. He was still technically bound to Sigils, but the more Biffle spent away from his friend, the more the bond threatened to break.

That was a bond he was willing to break.

Biffle gently knocked on Ian's soft, wooden, door.

"Get out of here."

"I only want to talk," Biffle reassured.

"What do you want?" Ian hissed back in response.

"I said I only want to talk."

Ian opened the door, "Why? Why me? Why now?"

He had been crying, Biffle could tell even though he hid his face behind a helmet. A mask. Ian's shoulders shook along with his hands and voice.

"Because you need a friend."

Ian didn't respond at first. He pulled the helmet off to reveal his face.

"Fine, come in."

___________________________
Word count: 655

A/N: *cries and furiously wraps self in soft, fluffy blankets and prepares to write five chapters in one sitting*