Chapter 4

"This is where you'll be staying until you prove your loyalty" Mori opened the door to a shipping container (the door having multiple locks from the outside but atleast it has walls and a proper matress ..haven't seen one of those for the longest time)

"I appreciate the 50 agents taking their time escorting me, but do remind me, why are 50 agents escorting me?" I questioned, i already accepted being in the mafia. House, no dogs, gets payed for doing fun illegal things..
like beating others up, free library access, gets to hang out with dear little angry, gets food, no dogs (and did I mention no dogs?)

"Sorry should i have invited more?" Mori growled irritably...

Did I piss him off? He is clearly annoyed by something. Instead of arguing back i decided to turn the conversation around

"So what is the pay?" (Smart, make him more irritated) "Uh..when do i start?"...

"100000¥ a week" Mori sighed ..691,22 dolars?! "But the better you succeed, the higher the pay, you will start tomorrow at 8, before then you can venture around, get to know the place" He mentioned before handing me a note and a number, "your guard. If you want to go out, call him, he'll let you out and walk with you"

"Thank you, Mori- oh sorry i mean boss"

"Odasaku!! Assist him, Im going to my Elise" Mori admitted as he walked away

"Elise?" (I can't help myself but question)

"You will find out sooner or later" another voice bumbed in, "Hey, I'm Odasaku, you can just call me Oda, i presume you are Dazai Osamu, you passed the entrance exam the first time. No one has ever-...what?" Oda questioned my confused expression.

"What do you mean with first time? According to what Mori said, if I failed, i failed and would then be killed"

"Oh no, he tells everyone that, it gets them in the right mindset. If they don't exel in the physical, they would then do a mental and so forth.."

"Interesting...Oda, where is the library?"

"Yeah- I dont know" Oda admitted, embarrassed. "I can give you a small tour, if that can help and then maby explain a bit of the knowledge i have obtained , throughout the years here"

"Yeah, sounds like a good deal" i stated, only realizing now that the other 49 agents were gone.

For the next few hours, Oda and I roamed the halls. Roamed, because Oda didn't know half the places even existed in the building.

Another hallway, lighten by the colourful sun shining through the stained glass windows, disguising the dark atmosphere. At the end of the hallway, an ominous door is situated.

"Let me guess, you don't know what is behind that door," I complained, looking in Oda's direction. Seeing a slight shock manifesting in his eyes.

"We are not supposed to be here, let's go back"

"Why? What is behind-"

"The old boss' study. Technically still our current boss, but he has been ill for the longest time. Mori then took over and the Mafia has been thriving under his command. The old man is a selfish, commanding leader and in his rein, Yokohama in a whole, suffered. I don't know what we will do if he got cured" Oda explained, leaving me ogling the door.

I then followed suit , joining him on the walk back to the previous chamber. Sensing the awkwardness in the atmosphere, I changed the topic.

"No wonder you don't know where anything is, this place is a maze. Do they not give new members a map?" I complained, "Every hallway and room looks the exact same, I'm already bored at looking at this interior and I haven't even been here for so long. How long did you say you've worked here?" I added

"Yeah you have a point, I began working here at the age of 11 so 9 years" Oda kindly stated

"Dazai" I heard Mori's demanding voice, through yet another intercom

"Oh wonderful, what now." I exaggerated, "Sorry Oda, it was really nice meeting you. Didn't expect good people existed in the mafia"

"No worries, let's meet again. Tomorrow, main hall?" Oda asked

"Yeah, after training, see you the-"

"DAZAI!!" Mori's voice called again

"Bye Oda!" I called running into the direction of my "room"

~~~~~~~~~~

"You called?" I whined

"Took you long enough" Mori growled and started walking towards the stairs "I suppose Odasaku showed you around?"

"Yes, he did"

"Good, I called you here to talk about certain matters" Mori admitted as we made our way to a lift. "After you" he gestured to the lift. "several decades ago Yokohama was found. After a book got lost, an important book I might add, chaos started to grow and order was needed. Two main companies, agencies started to rise in the mist of chaos. Both protecting Yokohama, but wanting it for itself. The Detective Agency and the Port Mafia."

"I knew this , but thank you for the history lesson" i added sarcasticly.

"The Port Mafia was previously run by my boss for centuries" Mori ignored my snare comment, "I just worked as his medic. But  he became more greedy. You see, Dazai, we can't completely take over Yokohama. It is good to have another side helping protect it from their perspective. But a problem has occurred, my boss has been getting better from the illness he had fallen into. If he fully recovers , Yokohama in itself, would crumble"

"I understand that, but what do i have to do with this?" I asked, somehow already knowing the answer.

"I need a witness"

The elevators doors, as if on cue, revealed a hallway. Two doors on the left side, a large plain window at the end and one single door on the right. I followed Mori through the second door on the left, (a medical room) , I realized as i looked through the cabinets seeing the different medicine. I subconsciously took them out of there designated area..

"I wonder if i would die if i drank all of these, tempting isn't it?" I smiled at Mori

"Such Bloodlust, you remind me of someone. The Mafia is a business which employs violence as it its currency, let me show you how it is done.." Mori opened the door, scalpel knife in hand, a large grin and a psychotic look in his devil red eyes.

The room to the right, the green-blue tapestry and light wooden floors is accentuated by the red and black colours on Mori's attire. The centre of the room is filled by a large bed, the previous boss lays in the middle.

"How are you feeling , boss?" Mori's voice is a complete contrast from his previous malicious statement.

"Doctor...tell the executives to murder them all..." the old man whispered, "the opposing organizations, the military police, everyone who opposes the Port Mafia, by sundown." I understood why everyone hated this dude

"That's not a rational course of action." Mori commended beginning to lift up his knife towards the neck of the man infront of him.

The knife barely touching the old man's neck while he wasted his breath, "Kill them all! Kill them! Kill them! Kill them-"

"That's enough" Mori said, slicing through the neck and splattering all the blood against the green walls.

"The boss has passed on due to his illness" Mori lied, "he left the word , saying I will inherit his position as boss" he turned around, an expression of delight on his face, the same expression i experience when killing others or myself, then it hit me. I reminded Mori of himself, a splitting imagine of crazed eyes and lust for blood.

"You're my witness"

(1287 words)