Chapter 10 | L charges

Since the incident, you decided that if you wanted to let L out on his own again, he needed to learn how to defend himself. And since he likes to read, you figured you could give him some books to learn from. On your way back from work you picked up some martial arts books and gave them to L who was happy to read and learn even more things.

He spend all morning today reading and copying the movements the books instructed. How to effectively kick, how to throw a proper punch, where to hit someone to disarm them. He particularly liked reading about capoeira, thinking the added dance to the fighting style was rather interesting. What you didn't think about though was how much power learning such complex physical movements would drain from him.

He'd been fully charged when you found him, and had been working ever since. It was very clear by now he had a super powerful computer in him, so it was no surprise he'd lasted months without needing to be changed. But the morning of him carefully analysing the charts in the books and replicating the kicks perfectly was what he needed to finally start running low on power.

You were busy doing dishes when you heard a soft thump and turned to find L sitting on the floor looking dazed.

"L? You ok?" You asked.

"Low power..." he replied, sleepily.

"Ah, well you have been becoming a black belt martial artist all morning. How about I charge you up ok?"

He nodded, looking ready to pass out. You took your washing gloves off and dig through your drawers for a cable that would work, and plugged it into the outlet.

"Go to sleep for a bit ok? Wake up when you're fully charged" you said.

"Ok..." he replied.

He remembered the first night you had him, how you told him yawning means you're tired. He yawned himself, making him seem just that more human. Lying down he put himself in sleep mode, and you opened his ear port to plug him in. Once he was connected to the cable, you got up to go back to washing up while he charged. But stopped in your tracks when you heard electrical whirling from above you in the lights.

"Oh god-" you muttered.

And sure enough, the lights went out, the TV turned off and the air conditioning stopped. L had blown the power out...

"Shit, I should have known he'd do that after he surged a whole other persacom..." you sighed.

Putting some slippers on, you left your apartment to turn the power to your area back on. Going down to the breaker room in the bottom floor, you opened the box to find your switch to your room and immediately went 'oh shit' when you saw ALL the switches had been blown. L surged the whole building...

"Oh... well isn't that just... lovely" you sighed.

"Trying to fix the power?"

You jumped, hearing a familiar voice behind you. It was Watari who'd come to fix the power in the building, he was the land lord and owner after all, he knew how to do all this.

"My fault sorry, I tried to plug L into charge up but uh... he blew the building" you replied.

Watari didn't seem phased and just switched the power back on. Slowly the lights and air conditioning started back up again.

"He must be pretty powerful if he can blow out the whole building. Then again this building is a bit old and might not be up to date in his electrical system, a persacoms L's size could easily blow out an old system" he replied.

"I'm not sure what to do if he just blows out the power when I plug him in... how do I change him?"

"Bring him down here and plug him directly into the source, that should prevent anyone from loosing power"

"Good idea. I told him to wake up out of sleep mode when he's fully charged so he'll be able to make his way up when he's done. He knows this building well enough by now"

Going back up to your apartment, you picked up the sleeping L and carried him down to the breaker room. You forgot how heavy persacoms where when they weren't powered up. He was so light when he was switched on, but when none of his inner functions were running it made him a lot heavier. He was a robot after all.

You sat him up against the wall, plugging him directly into the electric system and this time, no power outages. He'd take a few hours to change up fully, so you had time to kill now.

"He lasted quite a while didn't he?" Watari said, leaving the door open a crack for L when he woke up.

"He did, pretty impressive really. Although at this point I'm expecting him to do impressive things since he always seems to have a new trick up his sleeve" you replied.

"He definitely is a special persacom, that's for sure"

As you walked back up the hall to your respective rooms, you remembered L telling you about someone leaving a book at the door the other day. You still didn't know who it was from, so you figured you'd ask Watari if anyone was in the building.

"By the way, has anyone been in the building recently? Apart from the residents I mean" you asked.

"Not that I know of, why?" Watari replied.

"L said a book was left outside the door a few days ago. Weirdly it was the sequel to one he'd read before, I thought maybe someone from the bookstore left it for him? Like maybe he ordered it in and forgot to tell me..."

"I haven't seen anyone aside from the pizza delivery people that usually go to floor 2. I'm not sure who'd be leaving books"

That was odd, if you didn't order it in, L presumably didn't either, and no one had been seen in to gift it to you... how did it get there and why?

"Huh... maybe a resident dropped it and didn't notice. L just happened to hear it and picked it up..." you pondered.

"Maybe, I'm afraid I'm not aware of anyone apart from the residents being around recently" Watari replied.

Ever since you got L your life had gotten considerably more interesting while also a lot more confusing. Of course you didn't mind, you loved having L. But some answers would be nice to have...