Prologue

I wasn't supposed to know about it, but I did.

.  .  .

Yesterday I woke up in the middle of the night having to use the bathroom. On my way back to my bedroom I overheard my parents talking in their room. I stood outside their door and listened through the crack between the bottom and the floor. It was hard to understand their conversation but from what I could tell mom didn't love dad anymore and dad was really upset about it. 

"We have two children Sharon how could you do this to me?" 

"I just don't have the same feelings for you anymore what am I supposed to say!" 

"What do you want then?" My dad practically shouted, I could hear my mom start to cry. 

This wasn't their first fight that ended in Mom's tears. 

"I want a divorce!"

I felt my heart skip a beat and my blood freeze; they weren't really going to get a divorce, were they? I've heard lots of stories about divorced parents, and it never went well for the children. Separate homes, wicked stepparents, step-siblings, and all that. I pressed my face to the floor and strained to hear the rest of their conversation. 

"A divorce? What about the kids?" My dad asked and my mom didn't answer right away. 

"I think we should talk to a lawyer," she suggested I could tell she was still crying. 

"That's going to cost a lot of money!" my dad growled. 

We weren't a rich family, living in a small apartment with four people and only two bedrooms. My dad was currently unemployed and according to him my mom's job wasn't a good one and she barely made enough to pay the bills. 

"My friend Jenny will talk to us for free." 

There was an awkward silence while my mom waited for my dad to respond, I heard him sigh and then pace around the room for a bit. "What are we going to do with the children while we're sorting everything out, we can't afford to send them to a summer camp," my dad reminded her.

 "They could stay with my dad for a few days." 

I liked my grandfather a lot he lived in a super big house in the mountains surrounded by a forest, I loved playing outside when we went to visit him, we didn't have a yard in our apartment and rarely got taken to the park. 

"Fine then first thing tomorrow morning, we take the kids to Clarence's then we go from there," I heard my dad's footsteps approaching the door, so I quietly ran to my bedroom.

I went in and shut the door behind me, I was crying, and the tears were making it hard to see through my glasses. I took them off and wiped my eyes with my hands. There were two beds in my room one for me and one for my little sister Brandy. 

Brandy was nine years old, two years younger than me. She was fast asleep her head resting on the pillow. I knew I could never tell her what I overheard it would crush her sweet little heart. I was worried for Brandy she wasn't going to take the news very well. She was sure to be upset. 

I looked at her and sighed. It just wasn't fair, what if me and Brandy got separated? I loved her and I didn't think I could live without her. I always dreamed of being an only child but now that there was a chance of that dream finally coming true it seemed more like a horrifying nightmare. I got into bed and pulled the covers over myself dreading the next morning. I didn't want to fall asleep I was scared of tomorrow, but before I knew it my eyes were shut and I was snoring.

(Author's note: This is my first ever published story. I hope you enjoy please vote and leave a comment if you do:) Now back to the story!)