Chapter twenty

The next morning, I woke up in my own room and Brandy was nowhere to be seen. I was wearing my pajamas even though I hadn't changed into them. My glasses were sitting on the desk next to me even though I had purposely fallen asleep with them on my face in case something came to attack us. I put them on and noticed my inhaler was sitting on my desk full of medicine, I picked it up in shock. I jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom to look at myself in the mirror. I couldn't tell if I had lost weight or not my pajamas fit me the same and I looked normal I would need a picture of myself for proof. 

I ran into Brandy's room to see how she was doing. She was fast asleep wearing her pink night gown, there was no sign of her wedding dress and not a single scratch on her. Her stuff had all been packed away in her suitcase which was sitting on the end of her bed waiting to be taken to the car. I ran downstairs and found my grandpa sitting at the table slowly sipping a cup of tea.

"Oh, you're up that's good, I was about to come and wake you, your parents called me there on their way to pick you up."

"Where's Seth?" I asked looking around the empty kitchen the clock on the wall read noon which meant I only slept for six hours.

"Who?" my grandpa asked curiously trying not to smile.

"Seth, your son, the dog, where is he?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about?" he said slyly hiding his smile behind his teacup.

"Seth!" I shouted but there was no answer.

"Don't wake your sister," my grandpa said pouring me a cup of tea.

"How can you not know who Seth is?" I asked in disbelief refusing his tea.

"Bailey you must have had a dream. I don't have a son and I never have".

"That's a lie, you thought he died in Luminari but he came back with me!" I said angrily checking under the table and in the larger cupboards.

"Luminary? I've never heard of such a ridiculous place, what are you talking about? Is that one of the those places they teach you about in geography class," he asked but he was still smiling that sly smile, I knew he was lying but why.

I ran back upstairs as fast as I could and threw open my grandpa's bedroom door, there were no crazy maps or pictures of dragons, just and empty room with plain white walls and a plain gray bed, only the two photos of me and Brandy sat on his dresser, everything else was gone. I hurried back downstairs and searched the living room checking under the couches and behind the TV.

"What are you looking for?" he asked playfully as if I was a small child.

"Seth, where is he?" 

"Bailey, it was just a dream," he said but I knew he was lying.

"What was a dream?" I asked as I searched. through the pantry.

"Everything Bailey it was all a dream there's no place called Luminari and there are no such things as talking dogs."

"Ahah!" I shouted from the pantry so loud I scared him, I was so excited that I ran right into the half-closed pantry door "Ahah!" I shouted again rubbing the sore spot on my arm from the doorknob.

"What are you Ahah-ing about?" 

"I never said anything about Seth being a talking dog?" my grandpa made a shocked face.

 "Of course, you did, you said where is Seth the talking dog?"

"No, I said where is Seth the dog, I never said a thing about him being able to talk which means you're lying."