Chapter eight

In the morning me and Seth continued down the trail. Nothing stopped or distracted us, and we didn't pass anything even remotely interesting enough to acknowledge. The trail stayed basically the same with the same type of trees and the same dirt road, but it was getting noticeably colder. I pulled the blanket out of my backpack and wrapped it around myself trying not to drag it on the ground behind me.

The air around us got colder and colder and the winds began to pick up I began shivering and found myself very jealous of Seth and his warm fur coat. We began passing small patches of dirty snow that hadn't finished melting. Seth drank from the puddles with a smile.

"It's like a snow cone," he commented, and I nodded through my shivers pulling the blanket around myself even tighter.

"What's wrong?" He asked confused drinking from another half-frozen puddle.

"I'm freezing!" I shouted over my dry, cracked lips.

"Don't worry things should warm up really soon," Seth said then mumbled under his breathe "unless of course we keep going up the mountain then it will get way colder."

We walked at a slow incline up and passed more and more snow puddles. Soon the entire ground was coded in a thin layer of snow, and it started seeping through my shoes soaking them through to my feet.

"I wish Beth had turned me into a Husky!" Seth complained starting to shake.

"You should be grateful she turned you into the dog you are now she could've made you a hairless Chihuahua," I said picturing the fierce and very annoying small dog my grandma owned.

"I bet she would've turned me into one of those if she knew the spell."

We continued walking and the snow only got thicker and the air colder with chilly winds freezing the tip of my nose. My snot hardened like ice. And I could see each breathe I let out like the steam from a teapot.

"Let's stop somewhere and build a fire," I mumbled my face was so numb I could no longer feel it and my feet were so cold they burned as if on fire.

"Alright let's find a nice dry place," Seth said, I noticed he wasn't walking with his tongue out like he usually was, his muzzle was shut tight covered with little white specs of snow.

We searched everywhere but couldn't find a nice dry place to start a fire everything was covered in thick wet snow.

"Seth, I don't know how much longer I can take this!" I tried to shout but it came out a s a mutter.

My eyes were freezing cold little flakes on my eye lashes. Everything below my knees was numb. My fingers were so cold I could hardly feel them anymore. It didn't matter that I was wrapped in a blanket I felt like I was naked. My entire body was violently shaking on its own and the cold air burned like acid as I pulled it in through my nose.

"Hold on I think I see something!" Seth shouted excitedly then he bolted off.

I yelled after him, but he continued running towards something tall and dark. The fog on my glasses made it hard to see what Seth was running towards. I took my glasses off and wiped them with the blanket as best I could. After putting them back on my face I saw that Seth was running towards a large mountain with a huge cave carved into the side. I ran after him as fast as I could but since I was battling through the snow it was more like a trot.

I made it to the huge mouth of the cave and hurried inside to find Seth who had already collected a pile of sticks for a fire. I got done on my knees and pulled out my backpack ignoring the bad smell. My numb fingers had a hard time unzipping the zipper and an even harder time lighting the match but eventually I got it to light and caught the sticks on fire. I sat so close to the blazing hot fire I burned the tips of my fingers. Seth continued running in and out of the cave gathering more sticks and kindling. I took off my shoes and socks so wet they no longer provided warmth and warmed my frozen feet near the flames.