Chapter ten

I jumped on Seth and wrestled him to the ground. We had been going the wrong way this whole time! Why did I listen to him! My frustration boiled inside of me pumping through every vein. The elf girl pulled me off of Seth who quickly backed away she sat me down on the log forcing me to stay still. I was so upset I couldn't speak I was shaking from my anger. We had been traveling for days through freezing snow and dangerous conditions and we had been going the wrong way this whole time!

After I calmed down a bit the elf girl shouted "Maikoh get this boy dressed in some proper clothes."

The little boy reluctantly grabbed me by the hand and led me into one of the other tents where an old woman was sitting slowly rocking back-and-forth in a handmade rocking chair.

"Nana, we have a visitor," Maikoh started saying refusing to make eye contact with me.

"My name is Bailey," I said holding out my hand.

"Why hello Bailey," this woman was very old with too many wrinkles to count her hair was extremely long and pure white braided in two braids that fell down to the floor, she wore a thick dress warm enough to be a blanket made from various shades of brown fur.

"Maikoh get this little boy some proper clothes," the old lady ordered snapping her ancient fingers.

Maikoh got down on his knees and dug around in a small wooden chest pulling out a thick pair of fur pants and coat with gloves, large snow boots and a thick hat. I put the heavy clothes on excitedly taking of my freezing wet pants and shoes, the clothes were extremely comfortable and for the first time since climbing the mountain I finally felt warm.

"Better?" Nana asked with a smile, and I nodded.

"Good, Maikoh go get this boy some food!" She barked pointy her wrinkled old hand out the tent and Maikoh went running.

"Sit down make yourself comfortable," Nana offered sweetly handing me a soft cushion full of goose feathers.

"You're from the human world, aren't you?" she asked with a smile.

"How did you know?"

"The strange clothes and the odd way your hair is cut, the plump look about you and the strange eye wear," she commented with a smile, I had no idea how obvious I was. "Tell me how did you get here?"

I told the old lady the entire story about my little sister and my grandfather sending me down here I told her about Seth and the monsters. I was just getting to the part about Seth getting eaten by the plant when Maikoh came in with a bowl of hot brown soup.

"Maikoh! Knock first!" Nana said angrily taking the soup and shooing a ticked of Maikoh out of her tent.

"Please continue it's been a long time since I've heard a human world story," she said handing me the bowl of soup. 

The soup was so hot it almost burned my hands to hold the wooden bowl. I continued telling the story stopping only to take bites of the warm chunky soup choked full of meat and potatoes.

Maikoh came back in before I was finished with my story and Nana started freaking out.

"What are you doing interrupting my story?" She asked angrily chucking a pillow at him.

"Metacomet is back from hunting, and he wanted to see the visitors?" the boy dead panned ducking out of the pillow's way.

"Oh, okay then, but do come back and finish," Nana begged and I promised I would not wanting to endure her furious wrath.

I followed angry little Maikoh out of the tent and into the center of the village where a tall man with long brown hair and a square face stood with his arms crossed next to a large gray horse with long gray hair and extra-large hairy hoofs. There were seven other men with horses behind him all sitting atop them with a bows and arrows. The villagers were all running up to the man and addressing him as chief Metacomet.