Chapter five

"Please don't eat me," I couldn't believe I was about to die already. I hadn't even made it out of the cave, and I was already attacked. 

The dog stopped growling and slowly backed away from me as soon as he stepped off me, I sat up and reached for my inhaler. 

"What were you thinking don't you know how dangerous pink crystals are?" the dog asked my mouth fell open when I saw him speaking like a person. 

"You can talk?" I sputtered. 

"Of course, I can!" 

"Sorry sir, but where I come from only people can talk," I explained picking myself off the ground and wiping the dog slobber off my mouth. 

"Just my luck, I'm stuck down here for three days and when someone finally comes around to help me, they're from the human world," the dog said miserably falling down onto the floor resting his head on his legs. 

"You've been stuck down here for three days," I couldn't imagine being stuck here for even one day I was already going crazy "you must be starving. You can have some of my food," I dug around in my backpack looking for something a dog could eat then I found a package of beef jerky, I pulled it out and began shoving the sweet, dried meat in my mouth I set a few pieces on the ground for the dog but he didn't take it.

 "I wouldn't eat that disgusting human food if you paid me," the dog said eyeing the beef jerky hungrily. 

"Are you sure it's really good" I said holding out a large piece. 

His nose began twitching and he licked his lips "Since you insist it would be rude not to eat it," the dog reasoned excitedly jumping up to grab it. 

He pulled the jerky out of my hand and tickled my fingers with his slobbery tongue, quickly swallowing it. He chewed it up then stuck his face right in the bag and ate the rest. 

"Do you have anymore?" he asked licking every last crumb out of the bag. 

"Sorry, that's the only meat I have, but I got some peanuts." I pulled a pack of peanuts out of my bag then set it down for the dog to eat, he came over and sniffed it.

 "What else do you have?" 

"I have an apple, and some pretzels." 

"What about those granola bars they look good can I have one of those," he asked trying to stick his face inside the bag, I pulled it away from him and held it closed. 

"Sorry you can't have those" 

"Why not? You have a ton just give me one," he said trying to wrestle it out of my hands.

"You can't eat any because they have chocolate chips and dogs are allergic to chocolate!" 

"Oh yeah, sorry," the dog said backing off his ears held down  "I didn't mean to attack you, it's your food and you were just trying to be nice to me and let me eat some, I'm sorry I'm just so hungry, there's so much good smelling crab in the air and I can't have a single bite it's driving me crazy," the dog jumped on one of the crystals and tried pulling it off with his teeth and clawing at it with his nails.

 "I can get some crabs for you if you like."

 "Good luck with that, those things are impossible to get I've been trying to get them for three days now!" the dog said angrily staring at the stones and growling. I pulled out my pocketknife and dug out a group of smaller crabs and gave them to the dog. 

"Well, anybody could get them with that thing," the dog commented chewing on the crabs like they were popcorn crunching their hard little legs between his teeth.