1.04

CHAPTER FOUR!
« blown up buses »

AURORA WAITED WITH CHIRON ON THE CREST OF HALF BLOOD HILL

She had anticipated Percy's answer, and therefore had packed her bag and brought it with her to the Big House. She and Chiron walked together to wait for the others.

She had some extra clothes, mortal money, a few drachmas, ambrosia, a canteen of nectar and her sword, which was just short enough to fit in her pack. 

The others joined them. Annabeth was bringing her magic Yankees cap, which she told me had been a twelfth-birthday present from her mom, a book on famous classical architecture, written in Ancient Greek, to read when she got bored, and her long bronze knife, hidden in her shirt sleeve. Percy had a small backpack with all the essentials that Aurora had.

Grover wore his fake feet and his pants to pass as human. He wore a green rasta-style cap, because when it rained his curly hair flattened and you could just see the tips of his horns. His bright orange backpack was full of scrap metal and apples to snack on. 

"This is Argus," Chiron told Percy, gesturing towards him, "He will drive you into the city, and, er, well, keep an eye on things."

There were footsteps racing up the hill. It was Luke, in his hands were a pair of basketball shoes. He stopped before Percy, "Hey! Glad I caught you."

Annabeth's cheeks lit up red, Aurora rolled her eyes when she saw it. Luke was six years older than her, but obviously the blonde didn't care. 

"Just wanted to say good luck," Luke told him. "And I thought ... um, maybe you could use these," he handed Percy the sneakers and said, "Maia!"

White bird's wings sprouted out of the heels, they Percy so much that he dropped them. The shoes flapped around on the ground until the wings folded up and disappeared.

"Awesome!" Grover said.

Luke smiled. "Those served me well when I was on my quest. Gift from Dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days...." His expression turned sad.

Percy looked uncomfortable, but he managed a smile, "Hey, man. Thanks."

Luke looked even more uncomfortable than him, "Listen, Percy... A lot of hopes are riding on you. So just ... kill some monsters for me, okay?"

They shook hands. Luke patted Grover's head between his horns, then gave goodbye hugs to Aurora and Annabeth, the blonde looked like she might pass out.

When Luke was out of ear shot, Percy turned to her, "You're hyperventilating."

"Am not."

"You let him capture the flag instead of you, didn't you?"

"Oh... why do I want to go anywhere with you, Percy?"

She grabbed Aurora's hand and stomped down the other side of the hill, where a white SUV waited on the shoulder of the road. Argus followed, jingling his car keys. Grover joined them not long after, then Percy after that.