1.07

CHAPTER SEVEN!
« blow torched national monuments  »

AS SOON AS THE BLUE LIGHT FADED, AURORA BURST INTO TEARS

Annabeth stood and wrapped her arms around the girl. The redhead turned and buried her face in her shoulder. Percy also stood and put a hand on her back. Them just being there was enough.

Aurora didn't know how long they stayed like that, at least, it was until the last of her tears had dried into salty tracks on her cheeks. Annabeth brushed some of the redhead's hair out of her face.

"Why don't you get some sleep?" She said, "We'll take first watch."

Aurora was too drained and tired to argue, she laid down on the ground and tried to make the best pillow she could out of dirt. She pretty much passed out as soon as her head hit the ground.

☽☾

AURORA THREW A PACKET OF CHIPS AT PERCY, HE FINALLY WOKE UP.

"Well," She said, "The zombie lives"

Her voice was flat, no sarcasm, nothing. She had slept okay the night before, the dreams kept her up, though. Most of it was garbled, incoherent nonsense that she couldn't understand. There was a voice underlying all of them though. It was deep and raspy, like metal against metal. And it kept whispering 'join me'

Percy rubbed his eyes and sat up, "How long was I asleep?"

"Long enough for me to cook breakfast." Annabeth pointed to the chips next to his face, "And Grover went exploring. Look, he found a friend."

Grover was sitting cross-legged on a blanket with something fuzzy in his lap, a dirty, unnaturally pink poodle.

The poodle yapped at Percy suspiciously. Grover said, "No, he's not."

Percy blinked. "Are you ... talking to that thing?"

The poodle growled.

"This thing," Grover warned, "is our ticket west. Be nice to him."

"You can talk to animals?"

Grover ignored the question. "Percy, meet Gladiola. Gladiola, Percy."

Percy's eyes flicked up to Annabeth and Aurora like he expected them to be joking. Both of them looked at him, deadly serious.

"I'm not saying hello to a pink poodle," He said. "Forget it."

"Percy," Annabeth said. "I said hello to the poodle, Rory said hello to the poodle, You say hello to the poodle."

Percy said hello to the poodle.

Grover explained that he'd come across Gladiola in the woods and they'd struck up a conversation. The poodle had run away from a rich local family, who'd posted a $200 reward for his return. Gladiola didn't really want to go back to his family, but he was willing to if it meant helping Grover.