3.05

CHAPTER FIVE!
alternatively titled: percy and aurora communicate telepathically

AURORA'S FINGERS WERE WARM AROUND A MUG OF HOT CHOCOLATE, HER BODY WAS SLUMPED IN ONE OF THE PLUSH CHAIRS BY THE FIRE IN THE BIG HOUSE AS SHE STARED BLANKLY INTO THE CRACKLING FLAMES

Silena was sitting in the chair across from her, and Aurora could feel the burning of her gaze boring into the side of her head. She hadn't pushed Aurora to talk about what happened, but the redhead could tell that she wanted to know, and she was trying to prepare herself to tell the story.

Aurora didn't know how to tell her, and it felt a little overdramatic but she didn't know if she'd ever be prepared. Annabeth was her best friend, and not knowing whether or not she was alive made Aurora feel restless. She itched to get up, to do something, but she couldn't.

The incessant drumming of Silena's baby pink glossed fingernails on the ceramic mug she was holding brought Aurora out of her thoughts. Her swirling, icy blue eyes probed her with a silent question: What exactly happened?

Aurora knew that Silena would never spread the story - not when she found out what happened and not after she saw how broken up the redhead was about it. She and Silena had been friends for a few years - when Aurora was still new and almost completely friendless (sans Annabeth).

Deep breaths. In, out and in again. There was a nervous tremor in Aurora's voice, but in spite of it she launched into the story. She told Silena everything; Dr Thorn's creepiness, previously meeting the Di Angelo's, dancing with Annabeth, the boys going missing, her powers, getting concussed, seeing Annabeth go over the hill, waking up to find out she was gone.

Aurora found herself spilling all of it without meaning or trying to. She found herself going on and on about Annabeth - that she missed her, what she felt when she last saw her, how the moonlight had caught on the curl of Annabeth's blonde hair and made her eyes look like quicksilver.

Okay, maybe she went into a bit too much detail there...

She knew that she was probably being too dramatic, missing her too much. Aurora couldn't really explain it, but it was like she was physically hurt from losing Annabeth. Watching her go over that cliff, not knowing if she was alive or not, it was excruciating.

By the time Aurora was finished talking, she simultaneously felt exhausted and relieved, and she sank back into the couch cushions. When she finally gathered the strength to look up, Silena was staring at her again. But instead of looking curious, she just looked sad.

"I'm sorry," Was the first thing Silena said, and Aurora found herself taken aback.

Aurora brought her mug to her lips and took a long drink. She looked up at Silena, "It's not your fault. I just... I miss her, which is so stupid."

Silena reached across the space between them and took Aurora's hand in her own, the feeling was warm and grounding. "You're allowed to miss her, she means a lot to you. It's natural, okay? Never feel bad about that."