1.15

CHAPTER FIFTEEN!
« sacrifice »

PERCY LOOKED TO HIS FRIENDS, WHOSE FACES WERE GRIM

"We were tricked," Percy told them. "Set up."

"Yes, but why?" Annabeth asked. "And the voice in the pit—"

"I don't know yet," He said. "But I intend to ask."

"Decide, boy!" Hades yelled.

"I'll stay," Annabeth said, "Grover and I will, you and Rory go back to the surface."

"No!"

"I'm a satyr," Grover said. "We don't have souls like humans do. He can torture me until I die, but he won't get me forever. I'll just be reincarnated as a flower or something. It's the best way."

"I survived the world alone when I was seven," Annabeth said, drawing her bronze knife, "I can survive this."

"No—" Percy began to protest.

"Stop," Aurora said, her voice echoing against the walls of the throne room, "It's me."

"Rory, no," Annabeth shook her head, "I'm not letting you."

"You guys heard the prophecy," The redhead said, looking down at her hands, "Lightning's daughter... That's me—"

"What?!" Hades bellowed, "You are spawn of my brother Zeus?! HE BROKE THE OATH, AGAIN?!" Aurora nodded, "Oh, yes. You will be staying here with me."

He snapped his fingers and Aurora appeared beside his throne, her body bound in ropes. Annabeth surged forward, but Percy and Grover caught her arms and held her back.

"Percy," Aurora said, "You know what you have to do."

He nodded and handed a pearl each to Annabeth and Grover. 

Annabeth said, "But, Percy ..."

He faced his mother, "I'm sorry," I told her. "I'll be back. I'll find a way."

The smug look on Hades's face faded. He said, "Godling ... ?"

"I'll find your helm, Uncle," Percy told him. "I'll return it. Remember about Charon's pay raise."

"Do not defy me—"

"And it wouldn't hurt to play with Cerberus once in a while. He likes red rubber balls."

"Percy Jackson, you will not—"

He shouted, "Now, guys!"

Percy and Grover smashed the pearls at their feet, Annabeth hesitated and met Aurora's eyes, "I'm sorry," She said, and threw her own pearl down.

Hades yelled, "Destroy them!"

The army of skeletons rushed forward, swords out, guns clicking to full automatic. The Furies lunged, their whips bursting into flame.

Just as the skeletons opened fire, the pearl fragments at their feet exploded with a burst of green light and a gust of fresh sea wind. Each of them was encased in a milky white sphere, which was starting to float off the ground.

Spears and bullets sparked harmlessly off the pearl bubbles as they floated up. Hades yelled with such rage, the entire fortress shook, it was not going to be a peaceful night in L.A.