3.02

CHAPTER TWO!
alternatively titled: annabeth takes a tumble

AURORA LACED HER ARMS AROUND ANNABETH'S WAIST, WHILE THE BLONDE'S WRAPPED AROUND HER NECK

They swayed to the music coming from the speakers. Aurora smiled down at Annabeth, just watching her peaceful face as she closed her eyes and hummed gently to the music. It had been ages since they'd seen each other, and it hadn't gotten any easier to be apart.

Before Percy came to camp, Aurora and Annabeth were rarely away from each other, and they did pretty much everything together. But now, Annabeth was living back home with her dad and step mom, and Aurora was alone again.

She didn't blame Annabeth in the slightest, in fact she was exceedingly happy for her best friend, who had been waiting years to see the world and now could. Sure it was hard without her, but Aurora had made efforts to make other friends at camp so she wouldn't feel the absence so much.

"So," The redhead smiled down at her best friend, "How's school."

Annabeth's grey eyes sparkled in the light as a smile took over her face, "Oh my gods, Rory. At my new school, I get to take 3-D design as an elective, and there's this cool computer program..."

She went on to explain how she'd designed this huge monument that she wanted to build at Ground Zero in Manhattan. She talked about structural supports and facades and all that architectural mumbo jumbo.

In that moment, Aurora decided that she would gladly have Annabeth away from her, if only so that she would get to witness this smile again when she returned.

The redhead smiled back at her, "I'm glad you're enjoying your new school Annie."

Annabeth practically glowed with excitement, she brushed her fingers over the back of Aurora's neck, seemingly subconsciously, "How's camp?"

The redhead shrugged, "It's alright, been pretty quiet since we got Peleus. How's it going with your dad?"

Annabeth's face darkened, "He decided to move. Just when I was getting settled in New York, he took this stupid new job researching for a World War I book. In San Francisco!"

"Shit," Aurora cursed, demigods famously could not live in San Francisco, "So he wants you to move out there with him?"

"To the other side of the country," she said miserably. "And half-bloods can't live in San Francisco. He should know that."

"He should," Aurora agreed, a shiver rocking her body, "It's right there. So... Will you come back to camp? Or is there something else?"

"It's more serious than that, Rory. I... I probably should tell you something." Suddenly she froze. "They're gone."

"What?"

Aurora followed Annabeth's gaze to the bleachers. Bianca and Nico were gone, the door next to the bleachers were wide open, and Dr Thorn was nowhere in sight. Aurora's eyes flitted to look for her friends, feeling her face pale.