1.08

CHAPTER EIGHT!
« not soaring, not flying »

CHAPTER EIGHT!« not soaring, not flying »

AURORA AND PERCY WERE FREE FALLING.

They tumbled towards the river at rapid speeds. Aurora closed her eyes and tried not to scream on the way down. Percy had her by the ankle, she hoped that his water-y powers would extend to her as well, or at least he'd break the surface tension of the water.

That was her first, more sophisticated thought. Her second thought was something more like; AAAAAAGHHHHH!!

The river raced towards them at lightning speed, Aurora couldn't breathe. Her life was in the process of flashing before her eyes when it happened. 

FLAAAAA-BOOOOOM!!

The water exploded around them, covering them in white bubbles. They sunk through the water, Percy's grip on Aurora's ankle loosened, and she sunk towards the mud. She flailed, hoping that she wouldn't get stuck in the Mississippi and be lost forever. 

Aurora opened her eyes, trying to see through the murk. Something glinted in the distance, her sword! 

She kicked her legs and swam towards it, grabbing the hilt and yanking it out of the mud. She wasn't sure how to turn it back into a ring, but she imagined the silver and amethyst ring gleaming on her finger, her hand felt light. She opened her eyes and there it was.

Aurora's lungs tightened, if she didn't get to the surface soon she would drown. Her clothes felt like they weighed about a gajillion pounds, she propelled herself upwards. Her head started to feel light, her chest felt like it was going to explode, but then she broke the surface of the water.

Gasping and shivering, she shook her head to free her eyes of hair. The Mississippi churned around her, disgusting, mucky water soaking her clothes. The sharp, cold air nipped at her skin.

She swam towards the shore, pulling herself up onto it. She was shivering and gasping, laying on the grass. She almost thought about giving up and just laying there on the floor when a familiar voice yelled for her.

"Rory!" Annabeth yelled, her skittering footsteps bounded towards the girl, "Rory! You're alive!"

Aurora felt the blonde's hands on her waist helping her sit up. She coughed hard, doubling over as they wracked her body. When she looked up, Annabeth, Percy and Grover were all kneeling next to her. 

Annabeth brushed some wet hair out of her face, "Rory, we thought we lost you. Are you alright? Percy told us what happened."

She handed her friend a small square of ambrosia that had been crushed in her pocket. Aurora ate it, her lungs cleared, and the angry red blisters on her thigh faded to a deep pinkish colour.

Aurora nodded, "I'm alright," Her voice was raw and raspy, "Soaked and sore, but alright."

Percy looked concerned, but her looked towards Annabeth, "We should get her some dry clothes. We need to go now, though, otherwise we won't make the train in time."