2.03

CHAPTER THREE!
alternatively titled: request for a quest

THE WAY TANTALUS SAW IT, THE STYMPHALIAN BIRDS HAD BEEN MINDING THEIR OWN BUSINESS UNTIL ANNABETH, AURORA, KEIRYN, PERCY AND TYSON DISTURBED THEM WITH THEIR BAD CHARIOT DRIVING

And thus he subjected them to kitchen patrol—scrubbing pots and platters all afternoon in the underground kitchen with the cleaning harpies. The harpies washed with lava instead of water, to get that extra-clean sparkle and kill ninety-nine point nine percent of all germs, so they had to wear asbestos aprons and gloves.

Tyson, however, plunged his bare hands right in and started scrubbing, but the rest of them had to suffer through hours of hot, dangerous work, especially since there were tons of extra plates. Tantalus had ordered a special luncheon banquet to celebrate Clarisse's chariot victory—a full-course meal featuring country-fried Stymphalian death-bird.

The only good thing about this punishment was that it gave them all plenty of time to talk. Percy explained his dream again, and the thing was that Aurora was starting to believe him, as much as she hated to admit it.

"If he's really found it," she murmured, her eyes lifting to lock with Annabeth's, "and if we could retrieve it—"

"Hold on," Percy said. "You act like this ... whatever-it-is Grover found is the only thing in the world that could save the camp. What is it?"

"I'll give you a hint," Annabeth told him, shaking her hair out of her eyes, "What do you get when you skin a ram?"

"Messy?" Keiryn butt in, he looked like he wanted to say more but was silenced by a look from Aurora.

The redhead sighed, "You get a fleece."

Annabeth nodded, "And if that ram happens to have golden fleece—"

"The Golden Fleece. Are you serious?" Percy asked, incredulity seeping into his tone.

Annabeth scrapped a plateful of death-bird bones into the lava. "Percy, remember the Gray Sisters? They said they knew the location of the thing you seek. And they mentioned Jason. Three thousand years ago, they told him how to find the Golden Fleece. You do know the story of Jason and the Argonauts?"

"Yeah," He said. "That old movie with the clay skeletons."

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Oh my gods, Percy! You are so hopeless."

"What?" He demanded.

Aurora chuckled and continued for her, "Just listen. The real story of the Fleece: there were these two children of Zeus, Cadmus and Europa, okay? They were about to get offered up as human sacrifices, when they prayed to Zeus to save them. So Zeus sent this magical flying ram with golden wool, which picked them up in Greece and carried them all the way to Colchis in Asia Minor. Well, actually it carried Cadmus. Europa fell off and died along the way, but that's not important"