Chapter 6: "Wake up Lucas, our Anna is missing!"

Anna

"Did you really think that you would get away that easily?"

The bald man was now holding Mum by her hair as she struggled against his hold. I looked upwards to my right, where the man with a thick beard was chuckling at them. He was genuinely enjoying how the bald man was treating Mum.

We were ready to go to the movies, and the next thing I knew, there were two strangers inside the house.

I remember this night; it was the night when my whole life changed.

"Because of you, Miranda Miller was caught." Bald-man continued as Mum closed her eyes, quiet tears sliding down her cheeks. "The boss gave you time, a second chance, to correct what you did. But what do you do with that? You and that Reed plan against him? Do you really think we will not know, bitch? Greeley knocked you up and you thought all will be well if you ran away?"

"Please." Mom pleaded, sobbing. "Please, I beg you. Do whatever you want with me, but please leave my daughter out of this."

"Mum..." I started saying but the man holding me started laughing. I looked up at him again, and noticed a tattoo below his ear. It was a small tattoo, and resembled a knot. 

"You are funny, Lillian, did you really thought that by changing your name you'll able to get away from us? Lillian Miller can never hide." 

Mum gulped but stayed quiet.

Changing her name? Lillian Miller? But her name was Lillian Grace, right?

But I never got to ask her. I knew how this night would play out. It was like watching a movie as a character in it.

"We are not planning to hurt you or her, Lillian." The bald man says next, turning Mum's face towards him forcefully. "But only if you give us what we are here for."

"I... I don't know what you are talking about."

But I had sensed the lie, now and that night too. I could still smell the kerosene in the air, which had confused me at the time, but now it was all making sense.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. Wrong answer, darling. Do you really want your daughter to get hurt?"

The man holding me took a lighter from his pocket and opened it for the flame. I looked at him with widened eyes as he threw it over his shoulder.

I heard the flame erupting, and the smoke started making it harder for me to see. The red and golden hues were taking over everywhere I could see.

Mum looked around, then turned to me again.

"Mum, please, I know what you're going to do." I pleaded, but no one seemed to have heard me.

Because that night, I didn't say this. I tried begging the two men.

"Mum, this doesn't end well, please." I continued. "You... you die."

She didn't listen and smiled.

"Annie, baby, always remember," Mum started saying, but I looked on in disbelief because I knew what was going to happen next. "When in doubt, look at the stars, and you will get the answer. I love you."

"Mum, no!"

Then Mum turned around and punched the bald man, which resulted in the bearded man loosening his hold on me to help his partner.