Chapter 15: "You have friends? Since when?"

Anna

The pencil strokes were much slower than five minutes ago, as my breathing also got back to normal. The drawing paper now held the scene of that night, from my point of view.

I had the same nightmare again.

Since coming here, I had made a habit of not sleeping alone, and that worked because when I had one of my brothers sleeping beside me the nightmares tend to stay away.

Tonight, I tried sleeping alone in my bed. The only time I have been using my room is for the bathroom or changing my clothes, so I decided to try sleeping alone for once.

Worst decision.

It's been two days since Oli's birthday, and Travis took me to school earlier to give the assessment. Principal Coleman was a very nice person, he explained to me why the test was important and also told me different rules for the school. He also said that there will be no trouble in the school regarding my mutism, as he will talk with all the faculty personally.

The assessment was easy too, I am pretty sure I marked the right answers except a couple I got confused in, so all in all, I am confident I'll be in Grade 8 here too.

But even if the days were going normal, I couldn't feel nervous. Since the time I heard Travis' secretary Stacey and her brother, Ivan, arguing on the hotel's roof, I can't just stop thinking through things.

Ivan clearly said Stacey couldn't lure in the oldest with her flirtiness. That clearly means she tried to flirt with Travis but he didn't play heed to her. Most probably because he plays for the same team. So that's why she went to the second option.

If my guess is correct, the second option will be Justin here. So does that mean Justin was dating Stacey or something? Was she the 'S<3' saved on his phone?

This is so not good.

I can't directly ask Justin about her without arising suspicions, so I'm going to wait for any other way to open for me.

Sighing quietly, I stared at the picture I've drawn tonight. If it would've been any other moment or just a imagination, I would've been really proud of the tiny details I've managed to drew.

Like the terror on my Mum's face and the smirk on the bald man's.

I had also drawn the setting of my living room back in Vancouver, the TV and bookshelf behind my Mum's kneeled form.

The only feeling I get staring at the drawing is regret.

Shaking my head now, I took down the paper from the easel, knowing the risk of getting caught with it. I don't want to be faced with the questions I couldn't answer.

The easel was kept in the sunroom, which I found in the middle of the night a week ago. It felt like no one had used the easel in a long time but still the drawer contained pencils and water colours with brushes.

I quietly made my way upstairs to my room like every night, missing Buster's company beside me.

Justin and Logan had taken Buster to a vet dentist today to get his teeth cleaned and a bad one removed. The vet had put him under anesthesia and given him meds that made the dog act like a stoner. Buster literally crawled through the main door with his tongue out, then proceeded to stay standing there like a statue until the twins had to pick him and get him upstairs to Logan's room. 

It was kind of funny, but I still felt bad for the dog.

Once I was inside my room again, I locked the door behind me and opened my closet. There, at the very back wall behind the hanged dresses was a fake wall which hides the small board I had created to keep track of all the things.