Chapter 16: "Can you promise me that?"

31st December 2009

Lillian didn't knew what to do with herself anymore. 

She had trusted John. She really thought he had changed after knowing she was pregnant with their child. 

The scene she saw behind the closed door tonight says different.

Lillian rested her hand over her swollen belly as she drove towards the Greeley house. The streets were buzzing with festivities as people were getting ready to celebrate the end of the year. 

Just a hour ago, she was also like this people. Getting ready to say goodbye with the man she loved by her side. That felt like a lifetime ago now. 

When she finally reached the gated house, the guard glanced at her once before opening the gates. Lillian parked the car, then got her phone out. 

John was the one who had gifted this latest phone to Lillian for Christmas. She was still struggling with the touch features but managed to call the one person who will know what to do. 

"Lil?" Peyton's voice sounded clear with the TV noise in the background. "I thought you were going to a party tonight. Is everything okay?"

Lillian took a deep breath to calm herself. She didn't wanted to cry. It will trouble the baby. 

"Pey, I need help." 

"What happened? Do you need me to come get you?" Lillian could already hear the Reed moving around while whispering to someone. "Where are you?"

"I... I am at the Greeley house." Lillian replied, grabbing her purse and stepping out. "I need to pack my bag yet, so can you come and wait outside for me?"

"Of course, don't worry. Take your time."

But Lillian knew she didn't have much time. If John was done with his escapade, he would soon realize Lillian had left the party with his car. He will most probably call home first to check.

She needed to leave. 

Once inside the house, she slowly made her way to her room. Climbing up the stairs was really a troublesome task for someone who is about 8 months pregnant, and every step was important. 

It took around 20 minutes for Lillian to pack up her bag again. She was using the same bag she had brought here, the only difference was her whole life has changed now. John had gifted her many things in the past few months, but she wasn't going to take a single thing with her. It would be better for everyone to act like this never existed.

After going through the room once again, she took a few more breaths. Getting the bag's handle out, she was about to turn and leave the room when a familiar voice called her name.

"Lili? Are you going somewhere?"

Lillian had thought they would all be asleep by now, as it was closing in on midnight. But she should've guessed that Travis doesn't sleep until he checks on all his brothers at least twice before the clock strikes 12. 

She closed her eyes for a brief moment before turning to look at the 10-year-old. 

One could say Travis Greeley was the most look-alike to his father among all the siblings. He has the same pale blue eyes Lillian had started to love, and the same dimpled smile that can light up any room. His hair shade resembled a much lighter shade than John's though, as it was something all the kids got from their late mother. 

Even if Lillian hated John at the moment, she could never ever hate any of his kids who have made a special place in her heart. 

"Travie, why are you still up?" She asked him while sitting on the edge of her bed. She patted the space beside her, so he came and climbed up the bed. "It's nearly midnight now, you should be asleep."