Chapter 6

"I was wondering if you'd gotten any recent calls about, um, rabid rats?" Nancy asked on the phone. Mrs. Driscoll was making them lemonade in the kitchen and Jessica was leaning against the wall, wondering what was going on.
"No, uh, rabid rats." Nancy corrected. "Rats with rabies?" Whoever was on the other end gave Nancy his answer.
"Okay, um, what about just rats, in general?" She asked.
"Uh huh. Okay thank you." Nancy said. She hung up and the look on her face told Jessica that she had not gotten what she was hoping for.
"You two are regular little detectives, aren't you?" Mrs. Driscoll said, coming out of the kitchen holding two cups of lemonade. Jessica chuckled and Nancy sighed. 
"Lemonade? It's freshly squeezed." Mrs. Driscoll continued, offering Jessica and Nancy each a cup of lemonade.
"Sure, thanks." Nancy said.
"Yes please." Jessica said. She loved lemonade.
"Do you mind if I make just a few more calls?" Nancy asked.
"Not at all. I enjoy the company." Mrs. Driscoll replied.

The girls walked out of Barnes and Noble after Andrea and Mahi had insisted, each holding a book Andrea and Mahi had picked out for them. 
"Where to next?" Ember asked, excited. Max pointed towards Claire's.
"There. We all need new clothes." Max smiled.
"Really?" Charlize asked, annoyed.
"Yes!" Max said, and the other girls ran into the store, Max dragging Charlize by the wrist.
El had never been in a clothing store before and the others could tell by the way she stared at everything.
"What should I get?" El asked, in wonder.
"Pick something that's you." Andrea replied.
"Not Hopper." Ember added.
"You." Andrea finished.

"Jonathon!" Nancy cried, bursting down the stairs to the basement, where Jonathon was struggling to get a good photo of the supposedly rabid rat. "I have a lead." 
"Yeah, okay, uh." Jonathon said awkwardly. He didn't know what to do here.
"Something is seriously wrong with this rat." Nancy said.
"Yeah no s**t." Jonathon said.
"Come on." Jessica said, peaking around the door and rolling her eyes.
"No, I..." Jonathon started to say but Nancy and Jessica had already started to head out. "Nancy wait up!" He called and ran up the stairs. He never saw how the rat he'd been photographing exploding into guts and slid out the cage like it was sentient.

"Okay, here you go." Steve said slowly handing his six friends their ice cream cones. "One chocolate with sprinkles for Andrea, one mint chocolate chip with whipped cream for Ember, one rocky road for Mahi, one cookie dough for Charlize, one strawberry for Max, and one vanilla with sprinkles and extra whipped cream for El." Then he did a double take. 
"Wait a second, are you even allowed to be here?" Steve asked El. All the girls started laughing and turned around to leave. "Andrea, hold on!"
Andrea turned around and motioned for her friends to go.
"I'll meet you up outside." She said, and turned back to Steve.
"Your brother is in the back with Robin. They're trying to solve some Russian code and have only decoded one sentence. They might need your help." Steve explained.
"Got it. Let me just say bye to my friends." Andrea said. "I'll be back in less than ten minutes." 
"Got it." Steve said as Andrea walked out the door with her ice cream cone.