Chapter 9

#67 in applyfic. How in the world did that happen?

"What are you doing?" Lucas asked, not looking up from his game. Loud medieval music played throughout Mike's basement.
"Yeah Will. Can you turn down the music?" Mike asked.
"Please address me by my full name." Will said.
"What?" Mike asked.
"My full name!" Will repeated. Mike and Lucas turned to see Will standing beside them, holding a long staff and wearing a long purple robe with silver stars on it and a matching pointy hat.
"Oh my god. Okay, Will the Wise. Can you please turn down the music." Mike asked, annoyed.
"That is not music." Will said dramatically. "That is the sound of destiny! I have seen into the future and I've seen that today is a new day! A day free of girls!" Lucas and Mike looked at each other and then back at their friend.
"What is happening right now?" Lucas asked.
"Will, come on." Mike said.
"Mike! There's a little boy here to see you!" Mike's mom called from upstairs suddenly.
"Tell him to come down here!" Mike screamed. Upstairs they heard the pattering of feet and the basement door open. Avery Henderson walked down the stairs into the basement, mumbling under their breath.
"I'm not a boy. And I'm not little. I'm twelve for god's sake!" They were saying. Then they looked up. "Hey guys." They said.
"Hey Avery." Mike waved.
"Is this a bad time?" Avery asked, looking around the basement.
"No. Will's just being crazy." Lucas said.
"Okay. Have you guys seen Dustin?" Avery asked. "Or Andrea?"
"No. They were solving a code with Steve and Charlize. No idea where they are." Mike said.
"Dang it. Are you playing DND? Can I play?" Avery asked.
"Yes! Anyone is welcome to the campaign!" Will said.
"Great!" Avery said, and bounded down the rest of the stairs.
"Now. A tribe of villagers are under threat from an evil force from the swamps of Kutazan.
"Will, it's so early." Mike complained.
"Is it?" Will said. "Is it early, Michael? Tell that to the villagers crying for your help, the children so frightened they cannot sleep. Are you truly going to let them perish? Or are you going to come to their rescue and become the heroes you were always meant to be?"
"Uhhh, can I at least take a shower first?" Mike asked

"It's gonna start pouring soon." Max complained as she, El, Mahi, and Ember walked. 
"We should be at the mall or, like, watching a movie or something." Mahi said.
"You don't believe me?" El asked.
"We believe you saw some super weird stuff, totally." Ember said. "But you said Mike has sensed you in there before, right? So maybe it was just like that. Maybe Billy just... sensed you somehow."
"But the screams." El protested.
"Here's the thing. When Billy is alone with a girl, they make, like, really crazy noises." Max said.
"They scream?" El asked, sceptically.
"Yeah, but, like, happy screams." Max said.
"Happy screams? What is happy screams?" El asked.
"It's like..." Max trailed off in thought as she and her friends walked up to her house. "I'm gonna lend you my mom's cosmo." Just then, they arrived at Max's house.
"His car's not here." Ember pointed out.
They went inside and walked through the living room and down the hall to the bathroom.
"Really want to do this?" Max asked.
"Why do I get the feeling we're going to find all kinds of wrong in there?" Ember added.
"Probably because we are." Mahi joked and Max pushed the door open.
Ugh! Gag me with a spoon." Max complained, looking around. The tub was full and there were bags floating in it. Ember went over and picked one bag up.
"Ice." She said. "It's just ice."
"Probably for his muscles or something. He works out like a maniac." Max said. El looked down at a cabinet under the sink
"El, what is it?" Max asked, looking at El's scared face. El looked back at her and pointed to a drop of blood on the door and pulled out a lifeguards pack.