Chapter 1

Ginny's POV

I woke up that morning with sun in my eyes. Sun was pouring through the window and into the room, lighting it up and giving it a bright look. Harry's arm was around my waist, pulling me close to his body. His deep breath told me he was still asleep, so I carefully squirmed my way out of his grasp. Thankfully, he didn't wake up. I smiled; my boyfriend could sleep through anything.

Yawning, I pulled on some jeans and a t-shirt. Then I brushed my teeth in the bathroom and put my hair into a braid going to the right, feeling a bit nervous about what I was going to do that day.

When I came out Harry was still snoring. I smiled to myself at him, quickly kissed him on the cheek, murmured "I love you," and headed downstairs, closing the door slowly behind me. I didn't want to wake him, even if he was a hard sleeper.

I felt horrible with myself. How can I be so selfish as to leave all this behind? Leave Harry, with nothing to explain my actions?

I might never come back. But I have to do this.

My hand trembled as it moved across the parchment I was using to leave a note for Harry.

Dear Harry,
     I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. I should be back in awhile. Maybe a week. I feel so horrible I didn't tell you before. Please don't be mad at me. I'll try to contact you as much as I can, but DO NOT come after me. 
     Don't worry, I'm not doing anything stupid. I know what I'm doing. When I come to get you, you have to come, okay? No questions. It's like a surprise. Hermione might've found out where I'm going, so if you really want to find out ask her. But DON'T come after me, because, unlike me, you won't know what you're doing. I hope this works. Please listen to me and don't get worried.

I really, really love you.
     Ginny

Sighing and hoping he'd listen to my letter, I drew a big heart under my words and left it sitting on the kitchen counter. Harry was stubborn - if he thought I was in trouble, he would disregard anything and anyone and come to find me straight away. Maybe that's another reason why I love him so much.

My bag was packed and sitting next to the door, the way I had left it last night when Harry was on the night shift the day before. Luckily he hadn't said anything about it. Out of the front pocket I took the long golden chain with the hourglass charm and put it around my neck. Then I slung the bag over my shoulder and took the charm in my palm.

I turned it nineteen times, each representing a year. Nineteen years into the past, and with a swirl and an odd feeling in the pit of my stomach I was standing in the time before I was born.

*

I was standing in Grodric's Hollow. A thin layer of snow blanketed the ground, and it crunched when I walked. I shivered. I'd forgotten my sweater, and I had worn a shot-sleeved shirt. (Thankfully I chose jeans.)

I'm so smart.

I remembered where their old house used to be, considering I walked passed it almost every day, and that Harry had showed me the ruins. Harry and I lived in Grodric's Hollow - as did his parents - so I saw their old house all the time. The ruins were horrible; the house was broken down and all the Potters' possessions were still there, but the Ministry kept the house standing as a reminder of the Potters who died bravely fighting for their son's life.

I folded my arms across my chest and shivered again, trying to keep myself warm as I walked. I really should've thought to bring a sweater - my Mum made sweaters, so I had plenty, and I couldn't believe I forgot one.

Then, I knocked on the wooden door of Lily and James Potter's house three times. It was odd to see the little cottage all built up, as I had only seen it broken down.