And Then I Met You

The soundwaves of the voice made their way over to Charley's ears and once transported through the ear canal to the brain, they kept echoing through her head, over and over again.
Somehow, the sound of it took her off guard.
There was just something about this voice that triggered something in her body.
As if it awoke after a long, deep slumber.
It was a feeling she hadn't felt before.
Therefore, she couldn't name it.
It was just there.
A certain... lightness.
Was she dreaming?

She soon got the answer to that question.
It came in the form of the man, that twisted and greedy man that was still on top of her.
He would never be there if she was dreaming, for she wasn't just lonely in real life.
No, even her dreams were overshadowed by loneliness.
So were her nightmares.
But he was here now.
She felt it.
And not just his weight.
His weight, that pushed her ribs almost through the wet asphalt, which made it almost impossible to breathe properly.

No, she felt how he tightened every muscle in his hideous body when he heard the voice coming from behind him.
She even felt how he slowly turned his head, to look over his shoulder.
To find out who was brave enough to disturb him during his late-night activities.
She caught herself asking the same thing, actually.
But frankly, it didn't matter.
All that mattered was that this was real.
And so was the scent...

As the lovely melody of the voice drove away the black hole that tried to suck her in, that tried to consume her, her sense of smell returned and to say that the maddening fragrance hit her like a train was an understatement, to say the least.
It felt more like the train just ran over her without slowing down.
Without mercy.
Or something like that...

Her heartbeat increased even further, as far as that goes, so was her breathing.
The scent whirled through her nose into her lungs like a tornado, or perhaps that wasn't the right way to describe it.
It actually felt as if she was breathing fire, but in a good way.
The strange yet delightful odor seemed to spread warmth through her body, softening every pain it encountered, leaving every nerve ending tingling behind, yearning for more.
How peculiar.

It was the sound of the man's voice that broke her out of her trance.
That brought her back to the not-so-pretty reality and for a moment, she hated him even more, a thing she never thought possible.
She wasn't a violent person.
She had never laid a hand on someone.
She had never thought about how it would be to kill someone.
To just end their miserable life.

But all she wanted right here, right now was to wrap her hands around his throat and squeeze the life out of his disgusting body.
It somehow scared her.
Yet, at the same time, it felt extremely liberating to only think about it.
But of course, she didn't do anything other than that.
She just lay there, listening to how the man responded to the sudden and unexpected company.
And they say that wolves are brave...
Snakes are.
Apparently.

"Get the fuck outta here, I had her first!", that same snake now snarled between clenched teeth without even the slightest hint of fear.
Judging by how the sound echoed the other way, he was still looking over his shoulder.
That could explain why he was pulling even harder on her hair.
It kind of felt as if he was about to rip her entire scalp off her skull and Charley let out a groan in pain as she squeezed her eyes shut.
The darkness, the one that had been gone for a few moments came back as fast as lightning, trying to consume her again.
God.

She wasn't able to hold this much longer.
She was strong.
She was a wolf.
But she was about to break.
Even the strongest people have a breaking point.

Luckily, she didn't.
Break.
Not because she was able to stop herself from breaking, but simply because salvation was closer than she thought.
"Well, you know that they say — who comes first... dies first."
Charley's eyes flew open by hearing the threatening undertone, for the sound alone was enough to give her goosebumps all over her body.
It was enough to know that this was someone one didn't want to mess with.
Not even some lowlife scum who had harassing women at night as a hobby.
Not even a snake.