You Are My Sunshine

The last word hadn't left Vinnie's mouth or Throttle and Modo rushed over to him.
With almost squeaking shoes, they both came to a halt next to the table Charley lay on, and Modo reached out his hand to check her pulse.
It wasn't that he didn't believe his little brother, but he just needed to feel it for himself.
Not only because this was another turn he didn't see coming and was therefore very hard to fully process but also because he needed to know everything there was to know about Charley's pulse.
Was it strong, or weak?
Quick, or slow?

While he was doing that, he lifted his tail and held it under her nose.
Soon thereafter, he could feel a soft wind going through the teeny-tiny hairs, telling him that she was still breathing as well.
It was very shallow, so that's why it was hardly visible to the naked eye, but it was there, and that was all that mattered.
Her pulse, however, was worrying.
It was irregular and weak, and his gaze wandered over the cut in her belly, his cheeks slightly burning when he noticed how scantily she was dressed but he managed to get that out of his head.
All that mattered now was to make sure she would leave this room alive, and thus, he leaned a little closer to take a good look at the wound.

Yes, it was deep, but apparently, it wasn't deep enough to immediately kill her, which made him come to the conclusion that they had been right on time to stop the man from doing further harm.
However, if he had to guess, she had been conscious when the killer made the cut.
The brutal pain must have knocked her out, which explained why Vinnie suddenly lost contact with her.
A shiver ran down his spine as he now fully realized what gruesome horror she had been forced to endure, but he quickly shook it off and he straightened his back to look at Vinnie.
"She has lost a lot of blood. We need to put pressure on that wound to make sure she won't lose more. Any drop is one too many."

Vinnie nodded, his ears flapping along.
"Okay. Okay. Okay", he mumbled as he already searched for something he could use to cover the wound.
Suddenly, someone handed him a blue towel, and he looked up, straight into Throttle's friendly face.
"This oughta do it."
Again, Vinnie nodded.
In fact, he just kept nodding, kind of like those bobbleheads Earthers liked to decorate their car with, as if he couldn't believe that this was really happening.
That she was really still alive.
Well, Throttle supposed no one could blame him.
The plot twists in this chapter of their story gave him a whiplash, too.

With his hands shaking almost uncontrollably, Vinnie laid the towel on Charley's stomach, but then he seemed to be lost at what to do next, and he looked up at Modo almost pleadingly.
Modo flashed him a warm smile as he gently rested his hands on Vinnie's before he applied the exact amount of pressure.
"Keep holding it like this."
Still nodding, Vinnie bit his lower lip as he focussed on keeping the pressure even, and Modo pulled back his hands, only to turn around and look at Throttle more
seriously than ever.
"She needs a doctor and she needs it now. Given her current condition, driving her to the hospital ourselves is outta the question, so please tell me you have a plan."

Throttle rubbed his chin, but before he could say something, O'Neill cleared his throat.
"We stick to the original plan."
Modo's jaw slightly tightened, and he glanced at O'Neill from the corner of his eye, who was still sitting on the floor with his back resting against the wall.
"And that means...?"
"It means that I'll call the cavalry and get Charley the help she needs. All you have to do is get the hell outta here before they arrive", the detective explained with a pained expression on his face as he was still holding his shoulder to stop the bleeding from getting worse.

That took Vinnie's attention, and he looked up with a jerk, his red eyes burning.
"No. I won't leave her."
"You don't have a choice, kiddo, unless they have visiting hours at Area 51 which I highly doubt."
Vinnie's eyes darkened as he gnashed his teeth in severe annoyance.
"What does that even mean?"
"It means that if you ever wanna see her again, if you want things to go back to the way they were before this all happened, you need to leave."