Aliens Made Me Do It

With her green eyes wide open, Charley peeked over her hero's shoulder in the direction of the voice.
Even though his big ears were partially blocking her vision, she was still able to see a silhouette standing at the entrance of the alley.
"Shit", she cursed under her breath when she recognized the intruder as detective O'Neill.
"It's that detective again."

Because her savior was still holding her, she felt how his entire body froze as the hand around her throat slightly tightened by hearing the word 'detective'.
"What detective?", he hissed compellingly and her eyes darted back to eventually lock with fuming red ones.
"The one that visited me in the hospital", she whispered back.
"And he has a gun."
Thanks, captain obvious.

She had to say, his response surprised her.
At first, his frown deepened but soon thereafter, a shadow flickered across his face, making his eyes a few tints darker.
"O'Neill", he growled softly but oh so threatening with slightly trembling lips and the pressure on her neck increased as he looked at her with eyes burning.
"What did you tell him?"
But Charley was already shaking her head before the last word had left his mouth.
"Nothing. I told him nothing. Only that I got attacked by a man and that I couldn't remember the rest. That's it."

He narrowed his eyes as he gave her another 'intense slash soul searching' look, but then she felt his fingers loosen their grip, which could only mean that he was about to let her go and turn around.
God knew what would happen if he did and so, she laid her hand on his chest to stop him while she took another quick glance over his shoulder again, only to see that O'Neill hadn't moved, much to her relief.
There was still time.
Not much, but every second counted now.
"Wait. I think he hasn't seen us yet. It's too dark", she told him and a smile curled her lips, she just couldn't help herself.
"He didn't bring a flashlight. How stupid."
You're one to talk.

"No surprise there. He ain't exactly the brightest bulb", her white-furred alien hero grumbled as he too glanced over his shoulder.
Thanks, man.
"He must have heard something that alarmed him while he was snooping around... Either way, we can't just stand here and do nothing. He may not be smart, but he's annoyingly persistent, so it won't take long before he finds us and when he does... Fuck, what is he doing here anyway?"

"I repeat: Chicago PD! I know you're there, hiding in the shadows! Show yourself!"

The loud voice only made the Martian more riled up than he already was, Charley could tell.
They clearly had a little history going on, but now wasn't the time to ask questions, for his hand slipped off her throat.
His fingertips almost caressed her skin while he did and, despite the gravity of the situation, Charley felt a strange yet pleasant tingle in her lower body.
But she somehow knew that she had to keep her head in the game, otherwise things could get real ugly here in this alley.
Or steaming hot.

Strangely enough, she succeeded and her right hand grabbed his black sweater right before he turned around.
"Wait. Let me handle this", she suggested slightly compelling, but now it was him who already shook his head.
"So you can run away? No dice, sweetheart", he snorted grimly, clearly not happy with the whole situation.

Truth be told, she couldn't really blame him for that, especially not now she knew that their secret identity was of paramount importance to his leader.
Things weren't going very well for her white-furred savior in this respect and she felt kind of sorry for him.
Maybe even guilty for causing him so much trouble.
On the other hand, she never chose to be dragged into this shit either.
But she was and now all she could do was make the best of it.
He needed to know that she was on his side, but right when she was about to tell him that, a soft click was heard and she froze for a moment.