When In Doubt

Big ears.
White fur.
A silver mask.
Red eyes.

Big ears.
White fur.
A silver mask.
Red eyes.

Big ears.
White fur.
A sil...

"Charley!"
Startled by the sudden noise, Charley almost fell off her chair, her heartbeat skyrocketing with the speed of light.
And if that wasn't bad enough already, she even let out a soft shriek, one that made her cheeks burn in shame, for it wasn't like her to react this way.
Her green eyes, now wide open, landed on the person in front of her, who was leaning on the table and studying her with her piercing blue eyes.

"Jesus, Pux, lower your voice. My head is killing me", Charley breathed with a slightly trembling voice, but Pux wasn't impressed.
She never really was, which made her both infuriating and good company.
"What, I called your name like ten times already. I figured you'd be really upset if I slapped you in the face", the blond-headed girl shrugged as she got back upright before she pointed at one of the bikes in the corner of the garage.
"You might wanna check that one before we call the owner that it's ready."

Charley frowned in confusion, trying very hard to ignore her pounding head and aching body.
"Why? It's ready, or isn't it?"
Pux gave her a look and arched a brow, giving her a somewhat arrogant expression.
"Is it? It's Mr. M's bike, so it's..."
"...never ready. Okay. I get it. I'll look at it once I've found the energy to get my ass out of this chair", Charley sighed tiredly, rubbing her face.

Mister M. was a regular at the Last Chance Garage, home of Charley Davidson.
He paid well, but the guy was a huge pain in the ass, always able to find something he could whine about.
It was beyond important to make sure the bike was in perfect state upon delivery, otherwise, they would never hear the end of it.
And both Charley and Pux were not in the mood for another lamentation spoken in that way too monotonous and therefore boring voice.

"Rather sooner than later, Charley. The man has called three times already and it's not even noon yet, so please, save me", Pux responded before she dropped on the second chair with a sigh, the blonde curls in her high ponytail dancing with every movement.
And there was a lot of movement.
Ever since she met her, Charley wondered daily why no one ever diagnosed this girl with ADHD, for she was always in motion, next to being chaotic and forgetful.
Still, she was a welcomed addition to the small team of the Last Chance Garage.
Or perhaps 'team' was too big of a word, for it was only the two of them who ran the small but high-rating garage that was hidden away in the ghetto of Chicago.

It was the last thing Charley had left from her parents and she kept it going with pride and good quality, just like her father had done.
But not even she was able to run a successful business on her own and so, two years ago, she had hired Pux to help her on the weekends.
It was probably safe to say that Pux came closest to a friend, which was quite pathetic since the girl was, with her eighteen years, ten years younger than Charley and all they ever talked about was bikes.

But truth be told, it was a relief to have an extra pair of hands helping around here, and even though the young and slender-built girl was like a tornado of chaos, she was kind and funny at the same time.
Perhaps even more important — she was good with the bikes and therefore a real asset.
Especially now Charley still suffered from a concussion, due to the vicious attack in that awful and dark alley.

It was only yesterday that she woke up at the E.R. in a wave of panic, panic that didn't go away, not even when the doctor told her that she was, aside from some cuts and bruises, relatively unharmed.
It was the fact that she couldn't remember how she got to the hospital that worried him -and her for that matter-, and thus he had insisted on keeping her for the night, if only to wake her every two hours to make sure her head injury wasn't more than just a concussion.
She had tried to wriggle out of it, for she hated hospitals with every fiber in her body, but the doctor had been quite adamant.