Even Those Who Are Gone Are With Us As We Go On

With the engine under him softly purring like a very satisfied cat, Vinnie drove through the empty streets of the city of Chicago.
It was a smooth and quiet drive so far, a bit too quiet by his standards, but that all had to do with that little crazy human sitting behind him.
Although he had his tail coiled around her waist to keep her comfortable and safe, he figured she had enough adrenaline for one day, so the least he could do for her was keep himself in check.
Which was a bit harder than he initially thought it would be, for taking a drive at full speed, preferably with some crazy-ass neck-breaking stunts here and there added along the way, was his usual way of dealing with his emotions.
And emotions there were.
A lot, actually.
Like a sandstorm on Mars, they raged through his body at the same speed with which he actually wanted to drive right now, if not harder, and it made him even more restless than he usually was.

Holy shit, what a day.

What made him even more uneased was that images of Harley kept flashing in front of his eyes, his brain apparently desperate to remind him of what he had lost.
Which was nothing but an exercise in futility.
As if he would ever forget what he had lost.
The nightmares he had every night were indisputable proof that he would never, ever forget about her.
Though he had to admit, he hadn't thought about her for a few days now, nightmares aside, but that didn't count in his humble opinion.
It was meeting Charley that had put his mind off of her, and although it made him feel guilty, it was simultaneously like a breath of fresh air.
But as it seemed to be a common thread in his life, he had been overtaken by his demons and now, all there was left was her.
Harley.
The conversation he had with Charley had opened the door which he so frantically tried to keep closed and if he even so much blinked his eyes, the image of her being grabbed by that filthy traitor Mace forced itself upon him, over and over again.
It made him sick, actually.
And where the soft purring of his bike's engine was usually enough to comfort him at least a bit, it was now suddenly way too quiet here.

Music.
All he needed was music.
That would be sufficient enough to keep the ghosts from the past away, since he wasn't really in the mood for talking right now.
With a slightly trembling hand, he pushed a button on his dashboard and after a soft beep, the radio came to life.
But instead of shrieking guitars, there was something else coming out of the speakers.
Something that bordered dangerously close to the characteristic yet revolting tones of a country song and he already let go of the handlebar again to skip to another station, preferably before he would throw up.

Hear that lonesome whippoorwill

He sounds too blue to flyThe midnight train is whining lowI'm so lonesome I could cry

It wasn't so much about the raw voice that was actually surprisingly pleasant for the ears, something he never saw coming after hearing the country-ish intro.
No, it was the words that stopped Vinnie from skipping the song, or if he had to be completely honest, it might be even the combination of both.
Either way, after a short hesitation -because come on, how was listening to a song like this one even cool?-, the white-furred youngster lowered his hand and grabbed the handlebar again, still trying to keep his pace as steady as possible.

I've never seen a night so long

When time goes crawling byThe moon just went behind the cloudsTo hide its face and cry

Goosebumps spread across his body, although he wasn't sure why.
Perhaps it had something to do with the horrific memories that still tried to force themselves upon him quite mercilessly.
Blue eyes, filled with confusion and fear, looking at him pleadingly...
In some feeble attempt to escape her burning gaze, Vinnie raised his eyes, hoping it was only the moon that would look back at him, but it wasn't.
Blue eyes, filled with confusion and fear, looking at him pleadingly...
No, not pleadingly.
Incriminating.