Holy Shit With The Capital H

Holy shit.
It was all she could think of.
Holy shit.
Did that, all that, really just happen?
Did she really face death like that?
Holy shit.

As she was still sitting on Vinnie's bike, Charley buried her face in her trembling hands, taking a moment to at least try to comprehend what she had been through just now, but it was simply too much.
Her brain just didn't want to face the facts, as if it would be too scary to admit that she had never, ever been this close to death.
Perhaps it was.
It most definitely was.
And now, she was about to meet Vinnie's 'bro's'.
It was the so-called icing on the cake, the epitome of utter madness.
Holy.
Shit.

"You sure you're okay, babe?"
Vinnie's voice chased away the high beep that was in her ears ever since that trap exploded right under her and it somehow eased her anxiety a bit, like it did whenever she heard it.
Still.
It was a stupid question, now was it?
A faint feeling of amusement joined the almost deadly mix of fear and disbelief and before she knew it, a laugh escaped her mouth as she shook her head, which was still buried in her hands.

Of course she wasn't okay.
Everything that happened today was far from okay.
But the weirdest thing was — there was no other place she rather wanted to be right now.
She didn't even wish that all of this never would've happened, which would probably be a more sane response to today's events.
No, she was right where she wanted to be, hidden in a dark alley with an alien that had taught her the true meaning of love the moment she had looked him in the eye.
Crazy indeed.
Perhaps she was officially losing her mind.

"So, what is it with you and your thing for dark alleys, huh?", Charley asked instead of answering his question and she raised her head before her eyes locked with his.
His beautiful ruby-red eyes, now not only filled with vice and rebellion, but with concern as well.
Somehow, it gave her the sudden urge to cry, but the thing was, there were no tears left.
She was entirely drained.
Vinnie bit his lower lip as he studied her face, as if he wasn't entirely sure what to do with her, a thing she couldn't blame him for.
She hardly knew for herself.
How did one deal with a near-death experience?
Somehow, she had the nagging feeling he would know.
"You like being close to your fellow rats?"

Oh.
That wasn't supposed to come out and Charley closed her mouth with a clap, her cheeks burning when she saw his facial expression switch from concerned to mildly insulted.
"I ain't no rat, I'm a mouse...", he started with a furrowed brow, his voice a few pitches higher as he slightly straightened his shoulders, but before he could really continue his protest, the sound of approaching vehicles made him trail off again.
Gone was the silence.
That delightful, peaceful silence, which had been a welcome alternation for the horrible sounds that apparently belonged to a battlefield and Charley's heartbeat increased as she too straightened her back, nervousness rushing through her veins all of a sudden.

Vinnie looked over his shoulder before he closed the gap between them and his scent practically hit her in the face, making breathing a bit difficult all of a sudden.
In a good way, that is.
She looked up at him, knowing she had again that stupid hopeful glance on her face, for all she wanted right now was for him to touch her as he touched her only minutes ago.
Or maybe even better — like he touched her last night in that alley.

All to feel that electric field take over again, to be taken away from reality because it was just too insane to comprehend.
She would give anything to be able to pull back into that intoxicating cloud of passion, where things were simple.
Where things made sense.
Where it was just him and her and no death traps, no bro's, no situations she didn't know how to handle...

But much to her disappointment, he only grabbed her by the chin and the warning look in his red eyes took her off guard.
He was just so... erratic.
He went from teasing to dangerous with only the snap of a finger and it was exactly that character trait that made him so... interesting.
Addictive, even.
Sexy.
"Whatever you do, sweetheart, do not, I repeat, do not mention the word rat in my bro's presence. Things will get ugly, trust me. Now just smile and wave, babe, this will be over before you know it and then we can all go home in peace."