grump

One

Rowan

"How was school?"

"I have a book I have to read for school,"

"Which book?"

"To Kill A Mockingbird, have you read it?"

"I have," mom nodded. "I'll read it again with you,"

"This wouldn't be a problem I wasn't like dad," I rolled my eyes, slouching in my seat.

"You aren't like him, he didn't try. If you keep up and continuing, it will get easier," she reminded me. "How many chapters?"

"Two,"

"We'll start tonight," she decided as she drove off. "What are we doing for dinner?"

"I don't need to know anything about this stupid book," I ignored her question. "I'm going to be a fashion designer, none of this shit matters,"

"Watch it," she warned me, making me sigh. "What happened at school? You're never this upset over an assignment,"

"My teacher gave me a zero on an assignment because I didn't understand it. No one did though, the average was a 20%, which isn't good,"

"That isn't good," she agreed.

"And I got my grade up to a C+, but now I'm at a D+, it's not fair," I stressed as tears filled my eyes. "I'm trying my best,"

"Take a second to calm down," she said, glancing over at me as I took deep breaths, leaning back on the seat. "I will email her and try to get her to let you redo it, we'll figure it out. You still have time to bring up that grade, and you are doing your best, that's what matters,"

"I'm not a good student," I mumbled.

"You're a wonderful student," she argued. "A lot has happened this past year, it makes complete sense that you haven't been acing everything,"

"It's dad's fault,"

"I'm not commenting on that," she hummed.

"I am,"

"How about we go out for dinner? It's Friday, we should celebrate. We'll start reading tomorrow,"

"I want Aunt Sierra to come,"

"I'll ask, she might not be available,"

"Because she's dating that one guy," I rolled my eyes, making mom chuckle.

"Don't be like that, grump,"

"She's always with him,"

"No, you're just upset that she's not spending every waking moment with you, like I do,"

"I guess,"

"If she can't come, we'll plan something else to do with her, deal?" she questioned.

"Deal,"