favorite aunt

Fourteen

Rowan

"Rowy, come on," I felt someone shaking me. I grumbled, burying my face further into the pillow. "Come on, get up,"

"Go away,"

"You're going to talk to your favorite Aunt like that?" I opened my eyes to see Aunt Sierra knelt down next to the couch.

"Yes,"

"I'm taking you to lunch,"

"Will mom be there?"

"She'll be meeting us there, along with some friends," she said and I nodded, starting to wake up more. "How are you feeling?"

I knew I couldn't lie to her, "Awful,"

"Hasn't been a fun couple of days,"

"Hasn't been a fun couple of months," I corrected.

"Fair,"

"I met Michael last night,"

"How did that go?"

"I wasn't very nice to him," I sighed and leaned my head on the arm rest, "I think I came across as a bitch,"

"Stop talking down to yourself," Aunt Sierra demanded. "You didn't,"

"You wouldn't know,"

"I would know, because he talks highly of you,"

"No he doesn't," I turned my head to look at her, feeling a cramp in my neck, which made me rub it.

"He does," Aunt Sierra told me, helping me sit up before she sat behind me and rubbed my neck and shoulders, "he thinks you're so cool, very strong, independent, and much like your mom,"

"He does?"

"We all do, your mom only talks highly of you," she reassured me, "except when you take her clothes,"

"They're cute though," I giggled.

"I know they are, but you should probably start asking,"

"There's not fun in that,"

"There is respect though,"

"I show enough of that,"

"I guess that's fair," she stood up and held out her hand, "come on, we need to go,"

"Fine," I sighed, taking her hand and going down to the cafeteria with her. I hated the cafeteria food, except one thing. They had a vegan chicken sandwich I got with lettuce, onion, ranch, and spinach. I could live off of them, but mom caught onto me always getting them and limited me.

Today was an exception I guess. When I followed Aunt Sierra over to the table, mom didn't give her a look for letting me get it. I sat down next to mom, seeing two new people I didn't know at the table. "Rowan, this is Calum and Ashton,"

The name Ashton instantly rang a bell. Mom mentioned him being my therapist, and suddenly I was making sure everything I did seemed normal. "It's nice to meet you, Rowan," Calum grinned. I sent a small smile back, before shoving the sandwich in my mouth to avoid the conversation. They all carried on with their conversation until Luke and Michael showed up, also taking a spot at the table. Michael sat next to mom, planting a kiss on her face, making my face scrunch up. Ashton saw, making him chuckle and look down.

"Have you done your reading?" mom asked me as everyone else was talking.

"No, I slept,"

"Make sure you get that done,"

"I will," I nodded, actually meaning it. If I would follow through though, that would be a surprise.