those are eggos

Twenty Two

Crystal

"Waffles are served," Michael put a plate of waffles in front of me and Rowan.

"Those are eggos," Rowan glanced up at him.

"Right, so dig in," he grabbed one from the stack. Rowan followed and leaned against me as Michael sat across from us.

"Do you have to go to work?" she asked.

"I'm staying home today, you are too," I said, which perked her up. "Sierra is coming over later,"

"Ok,"

"Hey, the guys and I were going to go grab dinner," Michael spoke up as he cut his waffle, "Rowan, would you want to come?"

"I want to stay with mom," she mumbled before shoveling waffles into her mouth.

"Alright, if you change your mind, let me know," he smiled. Once we finished breakfast, Michael left for work and Rowan and I went back up to her room. She refused to lay in my bed until I washed the sheets, claiming that Michael smelled, but we both knew she was just trying to be rude.

"Did everything go ok?" Rowan asked she her head laid on my chest.

"It did, the case will be soon,"

"You were sad though,"

"Just going to see him was scary,"

"It's scary for me too," she admitted.

"Well, you won't ever have to see him," I reassured her. "And just one more month of this,"

"Ok,"

"Was it ok with Michael?"

"He's nice,"

"I'm glad you're ok with him,"

"I like him, but I'm not good at talking to him,"

"Believe me, you are," I promised. "He really likes you, Rowy, you are important to him," She didn't respond, but nodded.

"Will you be ok if I go with him? So you can talk to Aunt Sierra?"

"You don't have to do that, peanut,"

"I know you want to talk to her alone," she said as she grabbed my hand, twisting the rings on my fingers. "It's ok,"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah,"

"After we get your hair done, we'll do something fun," I told her. "What do you want to do?"

"I don't know," she shrugged.

"Well, think on it," I said, "and Saturday we have a cookout,"

"Ok,"

"You also start school next week," I added, but that just made her frown.

"I don't wanna,"

"I will go with you in the morning on Monday, and Friday before your hair appointment we will go to tour the school,"

"But then they'll see me when I look ugly,"

"You are not ugly, it doesn't matter what hair you have. You're not ugly,"

"I look like dad,"

"You look more like me than your father," I shook my head. "Trust me, you are beautiful inside and out, I will always tell you that because it's true," she didn't verbally respond, but nodded, which made me sigh. I knew she didn't believe it, and I hated that.