walking on eggshells

Three

Crystal

"I think I will go to therapy," Rowan said as we finished up the dishes.

"Oh yeah?" I questioned. "Why the change of heart?"

"My friends said I need it," she shrugged, instantly making me look at her.

"What?"

"They said I'm always stressed and sad, so I should go,"

"I don't think they should comment on that,"

"They aren't wrong,"

"They also don't understand what you're going through,"

She huffed, "I thought you wanted me to go?"

"I do, however, I don't think your friends should be commenting on that stuff,"

"It was a joke," she defended them.

"Not a funny one," we were both quiet as we finished, but once we were done, she went up to her room, making me sigh. I gave her space, bringing Southy outside to the back patio while I called Sierra.

"I need advice,"

"What's up?"

"How long do I give this school until I move her?" I sighed. "I know that requires me asking David, and a possible court case, but I can't handle this,"

"You need to remember she's fourteen, a freshman now. It's a huge adjustment from middle school to high school,"

"But I already have a perfect school that can accommodate her, has extracurriculars, and tutoring,"

"But is it worth a court case?" Sierra questioned. "David isn't going to hand it over, he wants to make her life miserable along with yours,"

"I can't keep seeing her fail, and her friend group is horrible to her,"

"High school is full of mean girls, we both have dealt with them. Is it that everyone there is horrible, or just that group?"

"I don't know,"

"When are you going to tell her about Michael?" Sierra brought up a new topic.

"Please don't ask," I sighed. Michael and I had been dating for three months now, and he still hadn't met Rowan. I hated keeping it from her, but she was in a very emotional place. "It will send her over the edge,"

"You're walking on eggshells again," Sierra told me. "I know you love her and she's going through a hard time, but it's going to get out of control. You're going to lead her down a path where she can do whatever she wants,"

"I just feel bad,"

"You can be a mother and still be nice, don't treat her as a best friend,"

"I'm worried about what to say,"

"You shouldn't be, and I know it's not your fault, but it's soon going to be your fault," Sierra reminded me. "She needs to get into a routine, know boundaries. She's a great kid, Crys, but if this keeps up she's going to turn into your worst nightmare,"

I sighed, "It was easier when you were here,"

"You need to be one your own with her. Co parenting with David didn't work, he sent her down a horrible path. She's almost on that right path, you just need to get her there. She is way past the emotional period, the more you excuse her emotional outburst, the harder it will be. You shouldn't feel like you're walking on eggshells, you should be able to talk to her,"

"I know,"

"It's hard, but tell her this weekend, get it over with,"

"I guess,"

"It will bring so much relief, trust me,"