pizza

Eleven

Rowan

"You look beautiful,"

"Thank you, you look amazing as well," mom grinned, pecking the guy's lips as we got in. I didn't say anything, but sat in the back and buckled silently as the two giggled at each other.

"Michael, this is my daughter, Rowan," mom introduced me before he drove off.

"It's so nice to meet you, Rowan," Michael grinned, turning to look at me, but I looked down at the floor of his Tesla.

"You too," I mumbled, not meeting his eyes. He didn't say anything, but drove off. He and mom caught up from the one day they didn't see each other, while I just kept my attention on my phone, which honestly wasn't very interesting. My group chat with my friends was completely empty, nothing happening. It had been like that this whole weekend.

We're here," Michael announced as we pulled up to the pizza place I had picked. I didn't really want to eat here, but mom said no to Mexican, so it would do.

We got out and went in. I kept my focus on playing with the strings that came out from the holes in my baggy jeans. It wasn't interesting, but to me it was more interesting than Michael. We were all dressed down, which I appreciated. I didn't want to dress up today, especially to meet him.

"I like your jewelry, Rowan," Michael complimented after we ordered.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

"She made it herself," mom chimed in, sitting next to me so I felt less lonely.

"Really?" Michael asked, surprised. "That's really cool, how long have you been making jewelry?"

"I don't know,"

"Yes you do," mom chuckled.

"Since I was like, six, I guess," I shrugged.

"Wow, you could definitely sell that and make some money," Michael told me, but I just shrugged again, letting silence fall over us. Mom decided to ask Michael about work, and he excitedly went into every single detail about his latest surgery. I didn't really listen though, instead became more fascinated with the paper menus on the table. They were both a lot smarter than I ever would be.

I never got my mom's intelligence. As much as I wanted to be like her, I feared I was like dad instead. Sometimes I think mom looks at me and only sees him, and I guess lately that has been a big fear of mine. Especially now that she has a boyfriend, she could want to start over with him, not want me around. Michael seemed like the opposite of dad, and that made him the opposite of me.

"Alright, two large pizzas," the waiter came over, putting down the two pizzas. Michael and mom thanked him, then he left. We all grabbed some slices, then ate.

"Oh," Michael remembered, quickly chewing so he could speak. "There's a farmer's market next weekend,"

"I've been wanting to go to one," mom quickly perked up.

"I know, that's why I mentioned it," Michael laughed. "Want to go? It's around noon,"
"Rowan, are you available?" mom asked.

"I think," I quietly told her.

"Yeah, we'll plan for it then," mom grinned at him. The bell rang, making me look up to see my friend group walking in. I let my head hang down as I felt a pit in my stomach, instantly ruining my appetite and mood. At that moment, I realized that everyone just wanted to replace me.