a secret

Twenty Three

Rowan

"I'm glad you changed your mind to come," Michael smiled as I got in his car.

"Mom wanted to talk to Aunt Sierra alone, she was just too nice to tell me that,"

"I know," he chuckled. "It still means a lot to me,"

"I don't know why you're so nice, it makes it hard to hate you," I mumbled.

"Thanks?" he questioned. I didn't respond, but buckled up and let him drive off. "How are you doing?"

"Good," I shrugged. He nodded and we drove in silence until we arrived at a restaurant. When we went in, all of his friends were already at a table. Their attention turned to us when we came over.

"'Bout time you guys got here," Luke said.

"Oh whatever," Michael scoffed, taking a seat in the booth where Calum sat. I sat next to him, playing with the ring on my finger.

"Have you ever been here before, Rowan?" Ashton asked.

"No," I shook my head.

"Oh you'll love it. I personally recommend their pasta,"

"Their pasta is good," Calum agreed. I just nodded and looked through the menu as the four talked. We ordered our drinks and food, then I had nothing to hide behind. I assumed they would ask about mom and me, but they didn't. They were completely normal, talking about sports, video games, their work, and past stories, which were actually entertaining. Though I was worried about coming at first, I felt more relaxed as time went on. I still didn't talk as much as them, but I felt I was a difficult person to talk to. I didn't have many interests, I hated school, it was difficult.

"What are you doing for Halloween, Rowan?" Luke asked.

"Mom said there's a work party for you guys, we're going to that," I answered.

"You two should do a matching costume," Calum said.

"We do already,"

"What is it?" Ashton asked.

"Alice in Wonderland, I'm Alice,"

"Ah, that'll be great,"

"Mom invited Michael," I said, which made him smile.

"Mad Hatter," he told his three friends.

"You're crazy enough," Luke hummed, making him roll his eyes, but I lightly giggled.

"Hey, you can't agree with him," Michael gasped.

"It was funny," I shrugged.

"That's cause I'm her favorite," Luke shrugged, leaning back.

"No, you're not," I shook my head.

"Who is?"

"It's a secret,"