Prologue

It had been three months since Evan "Buck" Buckley had sued the L.A.F.D Department and one Captain Robert Nash. Three months since he had been allowed back to the station. It had been even longer since Buck had talked to anyone on his team. Since he had talked to anyone, really. Ever since he had been crushed by that fire truck, Buck knew his worth to the team. Even though no one came to visit him in the hospital, he still tried to come back. Then, he had the Pulmonary Embolism. Still, no one came to check on him in the hospital. He knew his relationship with the team was breaking. Then the tsunami. God, the tsunami. He almost lost the most important thing in his life. After spending hours searching for Chris, he thought about how to tell Eddie that he had lost him. Then that woman came, a god-send. His team was there, but were they really? Yes, they helped him not hit the floor when the exhaustion and blood loss came over him. But they never took him to get checked. Even when he took himself to the hospital, and they contacted Captain Nash, no one came.

So by the time Buck had gotten the doctor's notes and signed the paper saying he knew the risks of working on blood thinners, Buck knew nothing would be the same. Then finding out Bobby was the reason he couldn't come back, not the department... everything fell apart. Buck just wanted back. He didn't know his lawyer would use his words during the meeting. But the look on his teammates' faces, he knew he lost any chance to reconnect. Still, he was excited when Bobby invited him to the Rage Room. "My house, my rules." Bobby had told him. "You won't regret it" "But you will". Those words haunted him, and now he knew what Captain Nash meant. He knew that his coworkers would take his Captain's side. He just didn't know how mistreated he would be. The name calling and being ignored was ok, being left out of mealtimes and not invited to family gatherings were ok. But the physical abuse was uncalled for. Captain Nash had a history of violence with Buck, after pinning him to the wall that one time during his probationary period, but it got worse when he came back.
Buck did the one thing he could think of. He called the one person who contacted him five months ago after his recertification tests.