Chapter 6- Trying to Reach Out

Tw: Mentions of Abuse

After the truth had come out about Buck's departure, the station hadn't been the same. No one would talk to Captain Nash, the main perpetrator of Buck's treatment. After their confrontation, Athena and Chimney decided to go to the captain of the L.A.P.D. They could have gone to the Chief of the Fire Department, but Athena wanted immediate action and knew her captain would listen to her. On their way, Chimney had texted Maddie, filling her in on her brother. Neither of them could believe Maddie hadn't talked to him. She practically raised him and yet, left him once again. Chimney received a reply, but didn't like what was on the screen.

'Maybe if he had listened to me, and quit, this wouldn't have happened.'

Chimney let out an audible gasp, causing Athena to look at him. "What happened, Chim?" Chimney showed Athena the text, causing the woman to scowl. "How could she say that about her brother? She knew how important being a firefighter is to Buck. It's like telling her to quit being dispatched because of one breakdown." Chimney nodded at what Athena was saying, but couldn't find it in him to respond. He thought Maddie loved Buck. Buck would lay down his life for Maddie, but Maddie wouldn't do the same. This is not the woman he fell in love with. The woman he fell in love with was supportive of her brother, always talking and hanging out with him.

The rest of the drive was silent, save for a few calls from dispatch over the radio. Athena ignored them, taking herself offline, wanting to get to the precinct faster. They arrived not even 3 minutes later, both quickly getting out of the squad car. The officers inside got out of their way quickly, seeing that Athena was pissed at something. And when Athena was pissed, everyone knew to get out of the way or else. Reaching the captain's office, Athena had knocked. Yes, she was on a mission, but Athena would still respect her captain's privacy. The captain allowed them to enter, looking at her computer one last time before turning her full attention to the two.

"Sergeant Grant, Firefighter Han. What brings you two in today?" Athena gave her letter to the captain before explaining. "Ma'am, I need an immediate investigation on Captain Nash of the 118. As read in the letter, he has caused Firefighter Buckley to leave the state for his own safety. I also heard from Firefighter Han that Captain Nash had been unfair to Buckley even from his time as a probationary firefighter." The captain put the letter down after reading and went to her computer. "I see. Sergeant Grant, I will start the investigation. But seeing as you are married to Captain Nash, I will have to dock you from the investigation. You know the rules. I will also need statements from both you and Firefighter Han. Also from anyone of the crew who are willing to give statements about Captain Nash's treatment towards Firefighter Buckley," Captain Maynard told them. Athena nodded before turning to Chimney. "Chim, do you think Hen and Eddie will give a statement. They seemed to be remorseful when I told them." Chimney nodded saying that he would ask. Captain Maynard spoke, "Great. Why don't both of you seek out Detective Ransone to give your statements. Athena, I mean it by when I say that you are not allowed to be a part of the investigation. Not only will it make it harder on the station here, but the higher ups will have even more of a reason to fire you." Athena reassured the woman that she would not get involved. She wanted so badly to, but her Buck needed her to let the real detectives do their work.

They left the captain's office headed to find Detective Ransone. It didn't take long to find him, as he was sitting at his desk, which was near Athena's. "Lou, I need you for a minute." Athena said. Lou looked at her before nodding, telling them to follow him. He brought them into a private room before telling them to sit. "Athena. Captain Maynard emailed me and told me what happened. I want to give my condolences. I know Buckley is like a son to you and that Captain Nash is your husband. Trust me when I say that justice will be dealt." Athena looked satisfied at that. "Thank you Lou. Now, let's get these statements started."