coffee

This is a mibba story 

Early Birdietuesday
June 9th, 2007
10:27am

As I nibbled at my pastry, which I had forgotten what it was called, I quickly glanced up. There she was in the same spot, everyday. She seemed as sweet as this strawberry delight I was eating. As fierce as a hard blowing wind. As beautiful as the goddess of beauty. No she was the goddess of beauty. There were so many words that I could probably describe her as, but the only thing that I did not have, was her name.

Everyday she sat by the window in the corner, occasionally glancing out. The table could only hold two and never did I see a second person occupy the seat. She was often on her laptop doing something and concentrating deeply about whatever. Her brown hair falling in her face where her glasses were so close to the brim of her nose I thought that they would fall off.

I sounded like a stalker, but I really wasn't. I came to this coffee shop before she started to show up. Everyday I had come for coffee and sweets for about an hour or two, maybe even working on some song lyrics. However, now I was in a new kind of rut, a kind that lead me to accidentally catch myself staring from time to time at that nameless girl. So caught up that sometimes I just never heard my number bring called by an employee.

"Number thirty-four?" the guy at the counter, Robby, questioned once more. I rose in my seat quickly while tearing mysupposedly quick glance from the girl. Walking over to the counter shyly hoping that no one was staring at me from how slow I had been. I greeted Robby. We knew each other to an extent due to my perfect attendance to the coffee shop.

"Sorry I didn't hear you," I mumbled as he handed me two coffees. I grabbed only one, looking at the other quite confused.

"The other ones for the girl," he answered noticing my look as he nodded toward Ms. Nameless. I blinked a few times until it really clicked with me.

"Oh, no, I couldn't. I really can't," I insisted shaking my head.

"Come on Adam you stare at her practically until she leaves!" Robby exclaimed going over a little more then a whisper now.

"Fine," I grumbled and snatched the coffee from his hand and sighed at his grinning face. Why were people so cruel?

My heart pounded in my ears as I neared her table. Never once did I get close to her. I sat only one row over and three seats down from where she stayed all the time. I wanted her to notice me, but then again I didn't want her to notice me. Especially like this. I passed another table. Only one more to go. Damn me and my shyness.

"Um, h-here," I stuttered as I placed her coffee cup beside her working fingers on the keyboard. I paused for a moment after she had said nothing. I bit my lip and then turned, fairly disappointed that I had gone unnoticed.

"Excuse me!" she hollered after I had taken a few steps. I turned around nervously. I hoped I didn't look as nervous as I felt. I walked over to her and took a deep breath getting ready to hear that voice I rarely got to hear.

"Yes?" I asked looking down at her laptop keyboard where her fingers were rested.

"You forgot the whip cream," she complained holding the coffee cup up to me with the top off, showing me.

"Oh, I don't work here, but I'll give it to Robby behind the counter." I replied as I grabbed it from her hand. My fingers lightly brushed her palm and I couldn't help but smile. Though I had only felt it just for a measly two seconds her skin felt like silk.

Without saying anything else I hurried off to the counter to tell Robby to add some whip cream. As I got there he was waiting in the same spot with that same grin on his face. He was watching the whole time. Heck I was sure he planed this out and didn't put that cream on top of her coffee on purpose.