On The Way To Hogwarts

Lily swallowed the waves of nervousness she felt rushing all over her as the Potters stepped into Kings Cross station that morining.
Oh, no pressure, James had reminded her that very morining, only your whole life will depend on today!
She tried to focus on anything but what was going to happen next. She watched the busy and crowded station, full of Muggles hurrying about, the metallic voice of a woman announcing the oncoming trains too loudly above the chaos. There were men in suits, a bunch of girls about Lily's age giggling madly at something. Or someone, Lily thought bitterly. James had grown annoyingly handsome over the last year, and the fact that he went around wearing mysterius long wizards' robes and and a shiny red badge that said 'Perfect' certaily didn't help keeping stares away.
Wait, Perfect?
A grin spread over Lily's face. She owed that one to uncle Ron. He had taught her how to do that spell, and not only had it worked, but James evidently hadn't been able to bring the badge back to its original state!
That must be why he kept glaring with narrowed eyes to his sister that morning at breakfast, Lily realized suddenly. Thank Merlin he'd kept his mouth shut! Their parents would've gone mad if they knew Lily had performed magic anywhere outside Hermione's class.

"You could have waited to be on the train to put on your bloody robes, couldn't you James? Half the station is staring at us."

"No, I couldn't. I have to head straight for the Prefects' carriage when get to platform nine and three-quarters, no time for changing like you little Lils." His eyes turned suddenly serious. "And don't think I can't see you shivering in those Muggle clothes. Are you dying of anxiousness or are you just cold?"

"Just a little nervous. The fact that half the station is staring at us doesn't help, though."

"Incorrect -" James yanked her to the side as a woman pulling three suitcases ran toward Lily, her suitcases barely missing her foot. Lily thanked her brother with a little smile. He went on as if nothing had happened, "Half these people aren't staring at us, they're staring at me." An arrogant grin spread over his face, but as Lily was thinking of a way to wipe it away with a witty reply, their family stopped abrumptly in front of the wall between plantform nine and ten.

"Al, can you go first please?" Asked her mother.
Lily watched as Albus ran toward the wall without hesitation, pushing his trolley in front of him. The Muggles around them disn't seem to notice when her brother disappeared into a wall.
"Do you want to go alone or with Jamie, Lily?" Lily tried to hide the blush on her cheeks at her mother's question. She'd never crossed the barrier without holding her Mom's hand before. But she wasn't a child anymore.
"I'll go alone." She pushed the trolley with her trunk and a sleepy Nixon in front of the wall and prepared to run.
Before she could take a step, though, she felt a warm hand on her arm. She looked up at James, his honest brown eyes looking down at her with concern. He gave her an apprehensive nod. He didn't need to speak for Lily to understnd. It meant 'You can do it. I believe in you.' James was always the first to sense when Lily feared something, and she was grateful for it, most of the time.
Lily took a deep breath and ran into the barrier. She didn't close ger eyes as she went through the wall. And just like that she was on Platform nine and three-quarters.
The ground was covered in thick white steam pouring from the Hogwarts Express. To Lily the scarlet train seemed even more shiny than usual. She smiled happily as she pushed her trolley through the platform crowded with students saying goodbye to their families. When she managed to spot the Granger-Weasley's red hair she let go of her trolley and ran to hug Rose and her aunt and uncle.

"Are you excited, Lil?" Asked Hermione as she placed a kiss on her head.

"Very." She smiled as Ron picked her up into his arms as he used to do when she was little.

"I saw Al before, but he went to load his trunk and ran off." Rose said, "Are Jamie and your parents here?"

"They should arrive any moment now, they were right behind me when I crossed the barrier."