The Sorting

Lily was trying to keep still. She really was. That resulted impossible, though, given the fact that the Hogwarts Express had just come to stop at Hogsmeade station.
Her heart was hammering so loudly in her chest she was certain Lara and Ellie could hear her crazy hartbeat. She glanced at them. They had all changed into their Hogwarts robes when a Prefect had come to inform them they would be arriving at the station shortly.
Can you possibly imagine how Lily could have possibly felt calm? That was it. The moment she'd been waiting for for years. She'd dreamed of seeing Hogwarts a hundred time, each time picturing the casle a little differently.
She'd dreamed of walking through those giant doors and seeing hundreds of floating candles hanging just above her head when she entered the Great Hall.
Lara and Ellie, however, didn't look half as restless as she felt.
Lara was staring curiously out of the window at the small station, while Ellie was smoothing her robes and fidgeting in her seat.
Lily heard footsteps and noise out in the corridor, and then James was shouting. James? Shouting?
Oh, right. Probably some Prefects' thing.
"Everyone out! Please exit the train. The door are on your left! Don't push, McLoren. You're a Sixth Year, for Merlin's sake. You ought to be an exaple for younger students, not a Blusger that will splatter them before they have tha chance to even get out of the train."

Ellie was already on her feet, sliding the comapartment door open. She beamed at them. "You coming?"
And then she was gone, disappeared in the crowd of students pushing their way out.
Lily and Lara exchanged a glance. Lily shrugged. "Let's go."
Lara nodded in agreement. Next thing they, knew, they were being sqeezed and pushed toward the doors. Lily took Lara's hand so they wouldn't lose sight of each other. When they were finally outside they barely had the time to take in a breath of fresh evening air when--

"Lily?!" James's voice came from somewhere on her right. She looked around until she found her brother's familiar shape. She let go of Lara's hand - who, she realized, had let herself get dragged around till then.
"Lara," she said, "this is my eldest brother James."

James smiled kindly at her. "Hello Lara, I hope you enjoyed the train trip?"

"Very much so, thank you. Lily and Ellie's company has been of great help. I'm a Mud--" she cleared her throat, ignoring the frown on both Lily and her brother's faces, "Muggle-born, you see. I've never even dreamed any of this existed just a few months ago."
Ellie forced her mouth shut. She hadn't intended to speak for so long, or tell to a complete stranger about her lack of knowledge, but Lily's brother had listened carefully to what she said the whole time, a kind smile on his face.

"I couldn't imagine growing up in the Muggle world, althought I can imagine the surprise of finding out obout the Wizarding World."

"Indeed." Lara agreed, "My whole family was very shocked to find out I was a witch."

James smiled. "Well, it has been lovely meeting you, Lara. Now I must go, though. Prefect duties." He winked. "Bye, Lara. Bye, Lils. Good luck on the lake. Try not to get eaten by the Giant Squid!"

"What is a Prefect?" Lara asked curiously when he was out of earshot.

"Two model students from each House get nominated when they reach their fifth year at Hogwarts. They are supposed to keep their fellow classmates in line, even though that doesn't work most of the time."

"And what about the Giant--"

"Firs' years! Firs' years over here! C'mon now, follow me. Are you all here?" Lily heard a familiar voice shout. She'd met Hagrid only twice before, once when she was in Diagon Alley with her family and once when he'd come over for her father's birthday. Still, the hairy face beaming over the sea of heads was unmistakable.
"Lily! You are so grown. You all right there?"