Until The Very End

Alice felt watched as she walked on the Howgarts Express.

Looking around in the crowd of students ready to go back home, her eyes landed on Rylan's. He was giving her a hard look - the only look she'd been getting from him since their break-up.

"Hey." James's hand rested on her shoulder, "Are you okay?"

Alice forced herself to look away from Rylan, who had absolutely no right to feel betrayed by her, when, as a matter of fact he'd been the one who betrayed her.

"Yeah, I'm okay." Alice smiled up at James, who was looking down at her with those caramel eyes...
"I can't believe you're mine." Alice covered her mouth with her hand when she realised she's spoken the words aloud. She hadn't meant to.

"What did you just say?" James grinned, his eyes sparkling mischievously.

"Nothing." Alice said quickly, her eyes darting away from his.

"Nothing? I don't think so."

Alice moved towards the Prefects' carriage, ignoring him. She felt his hand wrap around her forearm, and then he was dragging her in the opposite direction.

"James! Stop." Alice commanded. Then again, who did she think she was fooling? She didn't want James to stop.
"We have to go to the Prefects' carriage. The meeting is about to begin. You know they changed the time."

James pulled her into an empty compartment and shut the door. "We aren't going anywhere until you tell me what you just said."

"That we have a meeting to attend?"

James grunted and shut the curtains on the windows. He walked slowly towards Alice and Alice backed up until her back hit the compartment door. She crossed her arms and looked up at him.

"No. You know what I mean." James said, closing the space between them.

Alice's annoyed expression vanished. "I said I can't believe you're mine," she whispered, her breath coming out a little ragged.

James grinned and said, "I can't believe it either. Are you sure--"

Alice's mouth was on his before he had a chance to finish the sentence.

They kissed as if they hadn't seen each other in ages. As if they knew the end of the world was coming. As if they would never see each other again.

"Can we pretend we've forgotten about the meeting?" James surprised both of them by asking.

"No," Alice brushed her nose against his, chuckling, "Every other Prefect will be there. So, for how much it pains me to say this, we should go."

"Such a kill joy." James mumbled, placing a kiss on her forehead.

"Such a rule-breaker."

James took a step back and straightened his uniform, then waved his wand and all the curtains flew back in their original place.

"What hour is it?" Alice asked as she slid the door open.

James checked his watch. "Five to eleven."

"Oh no!" Alice groaned, "The meeting started five minutes ago. We're late! What are they going to say--"

"Hey." James pulled her to his chest. "You need to calm down, Lyc. It's nothing."

"I've never been late before!" Alice said.

"That's the point! And besides, we'll be late together."

That made Alice smile. He took her hand and they ran through the corridor of the train - which happened to be full of students trying to find an empty compartment - until they reached the top of the train.