Looking For Revenge

James was fairly sure his Potions exam hadn't gone as planned.

His mom wasn't going to be pleased.

In his defence, he had studied till his brain burst - and James didn't usually need to study for his classes at all.

The problem was that he'd lost concentration after trying to answer the first few questions - to which he didn't know the answer to. Paniked, he's written down a lost of some recurrent ingredients in Potion making, but he knew in his heart that the answers weren't right. The fear of not knowing the answers had remained through the rest of the test, and even though James knew all of the others because he'd studied, his brain had been a quite sluggish and he handn't managed to complete the last questions in time.

Alice, on the other hand, was chatting animatedly with her friends, a seemingly permanent smile on her face. James had been watching her for a while, and though Alice had turned and caught him staring a few times, James wasn't able to tear his eyes off her.

She'd just smiled at him when she caught James staring, which he considered a good thing. Besides, they were friends now. His stare didn't mean anything. He could just make up something to tease her about later - maybe how she had some lattuce stuck between her teeth or something.

James was really relieved when that afternoon's practical Potions exam came to an end. James was really pleased with the result - his Pepperup Potions had turned just the right shade of green. He didn't tell that to Noah, though, because his friend's potion was back and smelled of tar.

The next day was Charm's turn. They started in the morning with Theory of Charms, in which James was fairly confident he'd gotten at least an E -- Exceeded Expectations.

He'd written all there could possibly be to know on the Locking Spell, described the wand movement of a Severing Charm and how a Box Blasting Charm worked.

In the afternoon, a small Professor that James suspected to be realated to some kind of meerkat (he was tall and slim, and his face was round and with the biggest eyes...) called him into the Great Hall. James was asked to turn an armadillo into a pillow, then he had to use a Mending Charm on a vase that had evidently been smashed on purpose after the last student had left. Thank Merlin he's revised the Mending Charm last afternoon with Noah.

Relieved to have finished that day's exams, James hurried up to his dorm, where Noah was stretched on his bed, waiting. They played a game of chess before going down to the pitch to train for the upcoming semi-final: Gryffindor vs Slytherin.

Wednesday was Herbology day. James did his best drawind of a Shrivelfig, then described the main parts of a Wiggentree. He got a little carried away while describing Bubotuber, and ended up writing about how Burbotuber pus smelled - something Professor Longbottom had once made them try. Something they would remember for the rest of their lives. Anyway, apart from that, James was sure that Professor Longbottom would be proud of his description on how to pull a Mandrake out of its vase correctly.

On Thursday Noah was constantly asking James how many hours of exams were left to the weekend and complaining about his hand hurting from all the writing. James sighed and patted Noah on the back every time.

They'd been up until two in the morning to revise, and now he was about to fall asleep on his exam paper. He didn't know how he managed to complete all of the questions before the time was up, but when the examiner told them to put down their feathers James realised he'd dutifully written about Bowtruckles, Kneazles, Knarls, Fairies and Thestrals.

The practical exam was so much easier than James had expected. He wasn't sure if the examiner had been as nice to the other fifth year students, but he honestly didn't want to find out.