Ch 12

The four children played as the night crept in. Unknown to the children playing within the field that they were being watched by an observant elder. An elder known as Ryne who made known her presence and reminded the children that it was time to go home. 

The two younger children sadly parted ways as they made their way back home. All except two, Raya and the human girl now going by the name of Iris. The flower in which she fell in love with the moment she laid eyes on it in the field of flowers. 

Iris why are you looking so upset? Didn't you have a good time?! Raya asked her. I did but I could've been doing something productive. Now I have to go barter with the blacksmith to give me the dying embers of coal within his shop. Goodbye Raya. Stated Iris sadly as she made her way through the now dark yet brightly illuminated Moors. 

It was really beautiful here

It was really beautiful here. But Ulstead is the only home she had truly ever known. The only home she had really. It wasn't a great place but she supposed it could be worse. As Iris made her way out of the Moors Raya soon caught on what the young girl had meant by her words. She want to go find an elder. 

Iris was almost out of the Moors when a man suddenly blocked her path. A large fey male with tawny colored wings, bare chested, and glowing tan eyes refused to move. She tried going around perhaps take another path but he moved to block her again, and again, and again. This really got on her nerves. 

Excuse me! She squeaked out politely at the fey blocking her path. But could you please move sir. I have to get home before I get into trouble. Iris added through lying teeth. So, this the one?! He said talking to someone behind Iris. Iris turned around to notice Raya standing there a few feet away looking sad. Yes, elder. Is all Raya said before mouthing the words I'm sorry to a stunned Iris as the male fey approached her. 

Do you know how dangerous it is to go off on your own out there?! The male fey told her. Yes. And out there is my home so please move! Iris said firmly standing her ground against a tall and intimidating figure. Raya did say you were a stubborn one, Iris was it? He said smirking. His smile then dropped as he crouched down to be eye level with her. He took on a very serious demeanor. Listen Iris do you know how many people live in Ulstead. How many people that would without a doubt harm a child like you. He said with all due seriousness. 

Yes but... You see... I. Iris hesitated under the intense gaze of the male fey before her. I have to get home before I get into more trouble then I am now. Iris managed to say with a straight thin smile. Hoping that the male fey bought it. It didn't look like he did. If that's truly the case then you wouldn't mind me escorting you back to your home. He stated firmly standing up to full height. 

Iris froze right then and there unable to speak a word

Iris froze right then and there unable to speak a word. If you mind so much then how about my friend Shrike. She's a female, I understand you probably don't feel comfortable with a male fey taking you home. SHRIKE! I need you too take this little one home for me. The male fey yelled alerting a female fey with beautifully colorful wings. 

Iris still didn't know what to say. If she misspoke they'd know she was lying and if she didn't say something and soon she'd back herself into a corner. Well since you've lost your tongue I'll speak for you. He said. I was hoping that you would come clean I guess not. He added as his eyes met hers. Iris knew then and there the jig was up. He had known all along. He had known she was lying to them the moment she opened her mouth to speak. 

I was wondering why you kept picking so much sage and bundling them up? It was for a firestarter, wasn't it?! All you needed was the embers of fresh coal. He said leaning over Iris. What were you planning on doing? Spend the night on the streets? Asked Shrike concerned. When Iris still didn't answer them the male fey without any warning picked up Iris and took to the sky heading deeper into the heart of the Moors where others like him were gathered. 

There were fey of every kind dancing to their hearts content around large bond fires

There were fey of every kind dancing to their hearts content around large bond fires. Around one such bond fire Udo regaled his friends about a daring story. A story that was interrupted by a certain desert fey landing in such due haste dropping a squirming child to the ground evidently stopping the music and festivities of those around him. 

Borra, what's going on here? Asked a stunned Udo as he approached Bora who halted Iris in her tracks yanking her upright and into the air again. Borra all human children should've already been home along time ago? Stated Ini concerned as she walked up to take a closer look at the scared child in Borra's strong grasp. 

Yes. They are, if they have a home to go back too! Borra remarked curtly. Udo got a closer look at the girl, it was the same one from earlier. Iris is what the trio of children had gone calling her. Udo wondered if that truly was her name after all. Borra dropped the girl near the bond fire so that everyone could get a closer look at the girl named Iris.