~Chapter Fourteen~

Hongjoong watched as they wrapped up the interview and Seonghwa bowed deeply to the staff and directors. Yeosang bowed to the staff and made his way over to Hongjoong, he shoved passed him, not forgetting to look at him with gold eyes and his shoulder bumped into his.

The following week consisted of basically the same routine. Hongjoong would go from school to work and then follow Seonghwa around to his interviews. It wasn't a surprise that the engagement announcement was becoming a big deal amongst reporters and business news. But something in Hongjoong still felt uneasy. Was it really jealousy? Did he really feel something for Seonghwa? But what did Seonghwa feel? When he had confessed in the band room, he hadn't accepted nor rejected his feelings. It made Hongjoong's head spin just thinking about it.

Hongjoong's thoughts were running wild as he wiped the counter of the bar. Mingi came up behind him and stacked the glasses against the wall. "What's on your mind?" he asked as he leaned against the counter. Hongjoong set the towel down and sighed.

"I don't know Mingi. This whole engagement thing is really messing with me." he said solemnly. Mingi looked at him curiously.

"Why do you feel so indifferent about it?"

"I like him, Mingi." Hongjoong stood up straight and turned to look at Mingi. "And I know I have no right to. If his father found out, I would be tossed onto the streets again. But I can't sit back and watch him go through something he feels so strongly against."

"It's okay Hyung. You can't control who you fall in love with."

"Thanks, Mingi. It's just since I confessed a week ago, he hasn't really made any effort... What if he doesn't feel the same..."

Mingi rested his hand on Hongjoong's shoulder and smiled. "Hyung, I don't think he'd ask you to come back if he didn't feel something. And he's willing to fight for his rights."

"Thanks, Ming." Hongjoong smiled before returning to his work.

Yeosang paced his bedroom nervously. The door opened and Seonghwa walked in, Yeosang stopped at the sounds of the door opening and turned to Seonghwa. Saying he was nervous would be a severe understatement. "Why did you call me so suddenly? What did you want to talk about?" Yeosang asked as he took a seat on his bed.

"We need to end this, Yeosang. This isn't healthy and you know our fathers are just using us to make more money." Seonghwa said, his voice slightly louder than how he wanted to approach things. Yeosang was so taken aback by this, his eyes shot wide and his body jerked.

"What are you saying, Seonghwa? I don't understand- why-... w-why would you suddenly want to end things?" Yeosang stood up. It looked like his eyes were watering when we choked on his words.

"Yeosang, let's be real... things were never real from the start. It was all just a hoax for our fathers. You're my best friend and I refuse to be treated this way by my father." Seonghwa's tone was calmer now as he tried to explain things to Yeosang.

"NO- N-no- ... I-I don't want to. I don't want to end this..." Yeosang broke down. "Please Seonghwa... let's just stay quiet and get married next week. I- I don't- I don't want-"

By now, Seonghwa was worried for his friend. "What? What is it yeosang? What's wrong?"

"I don't want to lose you- p-please Seonghwa... I don't want to lose you because I love you-" Yeosang collapsed into Seonghwa's arms, sobbing hysterically. Seonghwa's eyes shot wide as he held Yeosang from falling.

"Y-Yeosang- y-you... what?" he was too shocked to speak.

"I-I love you Seonghwa and I don't want to let you go..." Yeosang clutched onto Seonghwa's shirt, fisting the soft material in his hand.

"I'm- I'm sorry Yeosang... But it's not what I want. I've known you since we were kids... to me... this engagement was never real... and I'm sorry if you thought otherwise." Seonghwa slowly pulled away from Yeosang, leaving the room. Yeosang collapsed onto the floor, breaking down into tears.

Hongjoong's sat at the kitchen island bench. San, Wooyoung and Mingi sat alongside him, working through their assignments. Rowoon came in and placed a jar of infused water with four glasses down on a tray with a mini cake in front of them. Wooyoung poured himself a glass before cutting into the cake. He hummed as he melted into the sweet taste of the strawberries and cream.

Suddenly the door swung open. Hongjoong was surprised when Seonghwa walked in. "Oh- Seongwha. How did it go with Mr Kang?" Rowoon asked with a slight head bow. Seongwha headed straight for the kitchen and pulled out a bottle of vodka from the glass cupboard. Wooyoung, San and Mingi looked between each other and Hongjoong. Hongjoong stood from his seat on the stool and rounded the island bench.

"Seonghwa? You okay?"

"Hm? Sorry Hongjoong. I'm not in the mood to talk right now." Seonghwa muttered before groggily walking away towards his room, vodka bottle in hand.

I don't really like this chapter 🤷‍♀️