Chapter 7

I was in Palpatine quarters waiting for him to finish his meeting.   Courscant's sunset was absolutely stunning as I stared out the window.  The city lights shone, making the view brilliant.  Eirtae and Sache were standing near the door and Jar Jar was next to me, admiring the gorgeous view.  I sigh sadly as Jar Jar turns to me.

"Mesa wonder why da guds invent pain?" The gungan says, cocking his head.  "To motivate us, I imagine..." I reply.   "Yousa tinken yousa people ganna die?" Jar Jar says looking sad.  "I don't know."  I said honestly.   I was worried for my people, but not being there on Naboo just made me as unknowing as Jar Jar.  "Gungans ganna get pasted too, eh?"  I give him a faint smile and reply gently,  "I hope not."  The Gungans lived on Naboo, even though we didn't know it.  They live on Naboo, just like me and every inhabitant.  They should be considered Nabooians as much as us.   "Gungans do die'n without a fight.... wesa warriors. Wesa gottagrand army. Dat why you no liken us, metinks."  I frowned.  Did Naboo and Gungans have conflicts?  They had a grand army..... wait.  A GRAND ARMY!! A idea popped in my head and I excitedly turned towards Jar Jar.  Before I could get a word, I was interuppted by Captain Panaka and Senator Palpatine bursting into the room excitedly.

              They both stop and bow before me.  Captain Panaka has a smile on his face as he says, "Your Highness, Senator Palpatine has been nominated to succeed Valorum as Supreme Chancellor."  Palpatine said honestly, "A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one. I promise, Your Majesty, if I am elected, I will bring democracy back to the Republic. I will put an end to corruption. The Trade Fedreation will lose its influence over the bureaucrats, and our people will be freed."  I smiled at that statement then realized that Palpatine could not have been the only one nominated.  "Who else can be nominated?"  I asked looking at the two men. Captain Panaka answered for me, " Bail Antilles of Alderaan and Ainlee Teem of Malastare."  They were both good men.  Palpatine will be challenged fairly.  "I feel confident...our "situation" will create a strong sympaphy vote for us..." The Senator practically read my thoughts.  "I will be Chancellor, I promise you."  He sits down on the couch behind me as I turn in the other direction.  "I fear by the time you have control of the bureaucrats, Senator, there will be nothing left of our cities, our people, our way of life..." I say as I walk back towards the window turning my back against the Senator.

     "I understand your concern, Your Majesty; unfortunately, the Federation has possession of our planet. The law is in their favor."  The Senator says with a hint of disgust in his voice.  "With the Senate in transition, there is nothing more I can do here..."  I turn around to face the Palpatine again.  "Senator, this is your arena. I feel I must return to mine. I have decided to go back to Naboo. My place is with my people." I say with stubbornness.  I have been a coward for leaving my people in this mess without a leader.  Palpatine gives me a look of shock,  "Go back!! But, Your Majesty, be realistic! You would be in danger. They will force you to sign the treaty.  I smile at the Senator and reply gently but firmly, "I will sign no treaty, Senator. My fate will be no different from that of our people. Captain!" Captain Panaka rushes towards my side.

 "Yes, Your Highness?"  he says earnestly.  "Ready my ship! I say as I start walking towards the door.  Palpatine exclaims quickly,  "Please, Your Majesty, stay here...where it's safe. "No place is safe, if the Senate doesn't condemn this invasion. It is clear to me now that the Republic no longer functions as a democracy. If you win the election, Senator, I know you will do everything possible to stop the Federation. I pray you will bring sanity and compassion back to the Senate."  I reply as I turn to the door.  I turn around to face the Senator one more time.  "I wish you the best of luck on the vote."  Eirtae, Sache, and Captain Panaka follow me as I walk out of the room.