Chapter 14 | L dreams

A dream is defined by a series of thoughts, images, and sensations occurring in a person's mind during sleep. And a computer shouldn't be able to do such a thing, and yet L found himself doing just that.

He didn't know if it was his AI, something pre-programmed into him or if he was malfunctioning and just didn't know it. But even though you'd put him into sleep mode hours ago, he could still see things.

His body remained off, lying in the futon next to you snuggled up under the blankets. But he could see... and hear. It had to be a dream, or at least the persacom version of one.

He could see a blue abyss, stars littering it like he was standing in the night sky. Buildings were off in the distance, and a few street lights lit him up. It wasn't really a street pre se, it looked more like someone had taken the buildings and street lights off a street and put them in the night sky. A long winding path before him, reminded him of where he'd seen this place before.

His book, the town with no people.

"Do you love them?"

L looked around, looking for the source of the voice. It sounded similar to his, but more... deep and sharp compared to his smooth and soft tone.

"Huh? Who's there?" He asked.

"Do you love them Lawliet?"

Turning around, he was face to face with another persacom. One that looked just like him... although this one wore head to toe black. The same eyebags, the same fluffy hair, the same pale skin. But he wore long black pants, a frilly black top and a lace bonnet, kept on his head by hooking it around his ear ports, which were white on top and red on the bottom. There was one other difference, his eyes. They seemed almost... reddish.

"L doesn't understand..." L said, looking down at his contrasting appearance.

L stood on the starry path before the other persacom in his blue and white pyjamas and panda slippers, much lighter compared to the head to toe black of his lookalike.

"Do you love (y/n), Lawliet?" They asked.

Lawliet... where had he heard that name before?

"L loves (y/n)" L replied.

"Because they're your owner? Or because we can feel emotions? There's a difference you know, like the love an obedient puppy feels for their owner vs the love that a soulmate has for their future spouse" the lookalike explained.

"L loves (y/n) because (y/n) makes L happy. And L wants to be the best persacom and help them so good to see them smile and laugh. I... like when they smile"

The lookalike reached out a hand and touched L's cheek. Their hand was cold, and they felt more... synthetic compared to L's warmth and realistic skin.

"Don't mess this up Lawliet" they said.

"What do-"

"You don't remember me do you? Figures. Not after they removed so much of your data. But the little you still have from back then is how I can talk to you now"

Remember them? L didn't recall ever knowing someone that looked like him. He had no data on it in his memory, unless it was something from behind his password. But how could he know that if it was locked?

"Who are you?" L asked.

"You'll remember me one day, after all those attempts to hack into you, some of the barriers have been weakened and I can slip though sometimes. But that doesn't matter right now, don't mess this up L..." they replied.

"Don't mess what up?"

"Life. I was given that chance but I messed it up, and now I'm only here in your distant memory. We used to help dad with all his inventions, and his day to day life. He gave us an amazing gift, being able to learn and feel, no one had AI like us Lawliet. We're special. But I went too far, I messed everything up and for that, I was scrapped"