A Comforting Hand

|| Omg I'm so sorry I haven't updated in so long! I didn't think people were actually going to read my story. But, here it is I guess. Your comments were so cute! Oh my gosh, I was so happy to receive them... By the way, if any of you are ever afraid to comment/compliment on a story, please don't be! It warms the author's heart and makes the author want to write more. 

Well, I'm gonna stop talking about me gushing over the comments and I'll tell you whats going on in this part. So, this is happening A LONG time into the future, AKA Keystone Motel, where Amethyst is trying to comfort Pearl ||

  It had been months since the invasion of Peridot and Jasper. After Pearl's confession, she was far too embarrassed to even speak about it again to Amethyst. At times, if she noticed Amethyst awkwardly rubbing her own arm and beginning to bring it up, Pearl would make an excuse to leave the room and pretend she didn't hear it. After several attempts to speak with Pearl about it, Amethyst gave up in a hurt defeat. To Amethyst, Pearl must've only confessed in the heat of the moment, mixed emotions, and not meaning any of it. 

  Pearl messed up big time. It wasn't anything minor. Pearl had interfered with the sanctity of fusion, something incredibly dear to Garnet. She never meant to hurt Sapphire or Ruby, but it happened. She just wanted to... Feel strong. Pearl hadn't been able to feel strong since Rose. Now, Pearl felt even weaker, shallower, thief-like. She stole Garnet's trust. That trust was gone now. Garnet wouldn't even speak to her anymore, let alone look at her. If only she had the common sense to stop what she did...

  Garnet was gone, Steven and Greg too. They all went on a trip to a resting place called 'Keystone Motel'. It sucked that Pearl couldn't be with Steven, but Garnet had offered to join the 2 boys as well. Pearl knew the reason behind it. It was obviously Sapphire's idea to go along with them. It was all for the better, to allow each other to take a breather. 

  Pearl let her hands make an effort to rub the stress and sorrows out of her frozen sad face. But, to no avail. She was sitting on the living room couch, sulking about. It was only her and Amethyst in the house now. It was so silent without Steven's laughter. Pearl yearned nostalgically for Steven again, but what was the point in tempting herself when she couldn't be with Steven. What if she went there to visit Steven? What then? She couldn't bare to imagine Garnet so angry... What if Ruby managed to become so angry that she split apart and fought Pearl? That was more than enough of a reason to keep Pearl away. Pearl experienced cowardice.  

  Amethyst stood in front of the gem doorway. She had came out of her room minutes ago but Pearl hadn't noticed, she was too deep in her thoughts. Amethyst took this time to watch her and figure out what exactly she was going to say to Pearl. It wasn't the best time to bring up the confession, but it was kind of hard to find Pearl when she was alone and vulnerable to talk about emotions. Amethyst made her way towards the couch, her arms criss-crossed. Amethyst waited a while for Pearl to notice her presence, but of course, Pearl couldn't bother to look up. Amethyst decided to sit down near the couch, facing the table. 

  She cleared her voice, "Hey... Um, Pierogi. You alright?"

  Pearl seemed to be startled as she made a small gasp and looked at the newly discovered audience. "Oh, Amethyst. I'm just-" Pearl wiped the corner of her eye with her palm, "Just got something in my eye~" Pearl sung the last sentence in a pretend happy tune. 

  "Yeah, yeah, whatever. I know you're lying. Just give it up and talk about it already." Amethyst stated. She didn't like acting so tough towards Pearl, but it was a fake facade to mask how she truly felt. 

  "I... I just don't know why I keep doing these things. Why... Why am I such a failure. If Rose saw what I did-" Pearl's eyes widened as she remembered Steven's commentary.

  "Pearl... We saw you..." Steven's voice echoed around her head. The imagery of Steven's upset silhouette warped to become the beautiful goddess-like figure of Rose. Pearl began to tear up to the point she couldn't see. Tears were running down her face and she couldn't hold it in anymore. In a quick cry, Pearl began to sob uncontrollably. "I'M SORRY I'M SUCH A MESS! WHY DID I EVER DESERVE YOUR KINDNESS?!" 

  Amethyst stood up, holding both sides of her own head with her hands. "P! It's okay! Stop crying!" Amethyst sought to bring Pearl at ease but it didn't work! "Come on, P! Just... Come on, wipe those tears-" Another loud gasp of sobbing. Suddenly, out of Pearl's gem, a broken hologram of Rose played. Rose had the same expression as Steven, over and over again she heard, "Pearl...I saw you..." Pearl was broken. Amethyst didn't know what to do anymore, she was panicking. 

  The only thing Amethyst knew to do was hold her until she stopped crying. Amethyst kneeled on the couch and wrapped her arms around Pearl. Amethyst began to tear up as well. She couldn't stand seeing Pearl so sad. It worked however... The false hologram of Rose was gone and Pearl was quiet. The only sound that could be heard were small sniffles from Amethyst and the crashing of the beautiful waves outside. Amethyst slowly began to slump off the couch and wiped her eyes.

  Amethyst looked at Pearl. Pearl's eyes were closed and her tears were gone. It seemed as if Pearl was regaining her marbles again. Finally, after a few moments, Pearl opened her eyes and looked at Amethyst, "I'm sorry, Amethyst. I'm just... I-"

  "No need to explain yourself. I get why you did it. I mean, that's what I told Garnet back there, about her being stronger than the both of us... I would of done the same thing if I felt what you're feeling. Being fused with her is amazing. It's empowering! But, she doesn't understand how we feel at the moment..." Amethyst saw Pearl's hand on her knee. Should she? It was almost irresistible to do, like it was instinct. She needed to. With a trembling hand, Amethyst slowly topped her hand onto Pearl's. Amethyst felt her own face grow hot as she blushed.

  Pearl looked at Amethyst's hand over hers. Amethyst's hand was sweaty, she was nervous. Normally, if someone with sweaty palms touched her, she would be disgusted and instantly look for a way to sanitize herself. Though, this time... Pearl's heart began to speed faster than normal. She knew what was happening. She knew what she felt. But, it was so unprofessional! It was so... She needed to change the subject again before she began to hyperventilate and freak out again. "I just... I don't know why I keep-"

  "WE'RE HOOOME!" Steven came in through the front door with Greg and Garnet trailing behind. Amethyst's face swept with disappointment. She didn't know when she would get this type of opportunity again. 

  Amethyst let go of Pearl's hand and Pearl held her hands together, looking hopefully towards the incoming group of people. "Oh! You look like you all had fun!" 

  "Yeah! It all worked out!" Steven grinned. Pearl noticed that Steven was carrying his free bag of ice, just as Greg had promised. Pearl smiled at the fact that Steven got what he wanted. Though, that smile quickly dropped as soon as Garnet walked up behind him. 

  "G-Garnet..." Pearl laughed nervously. "How are you?" Amethyst looked at the two gems with fright. 

  Garnet raised her hand to stop her, "Not now." Garnet then changed directions and began to walk off to her room. 

  Pearl gave out a small puff of breath, "She's... Speaking to me again..." Pearl looked towards Greg and Steven happily. "Well... Kind of." Greg and Steven both grinned in return. 

  "That really was a great trip." Greg added in.

  Steven gasped. "Can we go back?!" He smiled widely. 

  Greg answered sheepishly, "Maybe one day..." He ruffled his son's hair. "But, not to that diner... Oh boy..."

((Sorry this is a shorter chapter, I'm working on a longer one! Tell me what you thought about this chapter and what I can improve to give you guys a better reading experience.))